Actor George Segal dead at age 87 death said to be related to surgical complications!

army judge

Super Moderator
I loved him in "Where's Poppa?" and "King Rat".

Mr. Segal was a very talented actor.

CLASSIC WHERE'S POPPA: GORILLA TAXI SCENE

georgesegaldead.jpg

Oscar-nominated actor George Segal has died of complications from a bypass surgery. He was 87.

His wife, Sonia Segal, confirmed the news Tuesday in a statement obtained by PEOPLE.

"The family is devastated to announce that this morning George Segal passed away due to complications from bypass surgery," she said.

Segal's acting credits span decades, beginning in the 1960s. He is best known for his roles in films including Ship of Fools, Where's Poppa?, Blume in Love, For the Boys, King Rat, and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? — the performance that earned him an Oscar nod.

He also made numerous guest appearances over the years on several television shows, including Entourage, Boston Legal, Private Practice and Pushing Daisies.

On the big screen, Segal appeared in supporting roles as Jake Gyllenhaal's father in Love & Other Drugs and Christopher Plummer's doctor and friend in Elsa & Fred.

He also won two Golden Globe Awards — one for his performance in the romantic comedy A Touch of Class and another for his well-known role as magazine publisher Jack Gallo on the NBC sitcom Just Shoot Me!

Most recently, Segal played the role of Albert "Pops" Solomon in ABC's 1980s-set comedy series The Goldbergs for the past eight years.

The last episode that he filmed before he died will air on April 7, and the series is expected to pay tribute to the late actor on air, according to Deadline.

A scene from King Rat a 1965 Movie

George Segal, The Goldbergs Actor and Oscar Nominee, Dies of Complications from Surgery at 87

Very sad. One of my favorites. Here's a longer article about his career.

George Segal Dead: 'Where's Poppa?,' 'Owl and the Pussycat,' 'Just Shoot Me!' and 'Goldbergs' Star Was 87 | Hollywood Reporter

Odd that there was no mention of Carbon Copy, Segal's 1981 movie that introduced Denzel Washington to the big screen.

Carbon Copy was slammed by some critics when first released.

Some took offense at it's very avant-garde theme.

As I recall, some found the plot offensive in 1981.

From Rotten Tomatoes:
Walter Whitney is a successful executive who resides in an upscale Southern California suburb. Like all of his friends and neighbors, Walter is white, and he is shocked when he learns he has a son he never knew about -- black teen Roger Porter (Denzel Washington). Despite his surprise, Walter welcomes Roger into his home; unfortunately, the less accepting Mrs. Whitney (Susan Saint James) boots both of them out of the house, and Walter's racist boss fires him, leaving him in a tough spot.

Back