Acomplice to petty theft at a retail store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginia89

I was with a friend that was caught stealing... I did not steal. But since she still wasn't of legal age I had to sign her out and was put as accomplice. The police was not called nor were we arrested we were let go and were told that we would get a "bill' for the property taken. It was some sox and a bra which they took back obviously.

OK the bill is called Civil Demand and its on law books failure to pay this can cause long term serious consequences. The fine will be somewhere between $50.00 to $1000.00 depending on local laws and circumstances of case

I was with a friend that was caught stealing... I did not steal. But since she still wasn't of legal age I had to sign her out and was put as accomplice. The police was not called nor were we arrested we were let go and were told that we would get a "bill' for the property taken. It was some sox and a bra which they took back obviously.

If you're smart, you might tell her to inform her parents.
You could be headed for some bumpy water, if you keep this secret.
Secrets love to escape.

Sorry, I was reading a paper and typed friend. I just noticed that. The girl who was caught is my sister. I was buying things 'which I paid for" but our parents arent here. I am watching her. Just wanted to correct that. So, I will just have to pay the fine? Well better yet she will. Being that the police was not involved what does that mean?

Someone (parents, you, sister...) will have to pay the civil demands (fines) but since the police were not called, no one will be going to court. (as long as the civil demands are paid) Yes, hold for the letters.

I understand that. But it's best to pay the fine and avoid any further action to be taken? Would this go on my record? I have no priors what so ever nor does my sister.

NO criminal action means no criminal record. The only record will be with store and any retail theft database they may belong to

It would not be a criminal record, but you could easily end up in databases that could be harmful in the future, especially with employment and background checks. If you truly had no part in the matter you should discuss your options with an attorney. Paying a fine is the equivalent of admitting guilt. Simply being there does not make you guilty of anything- you had to have had knowledge.
Your parents are responsible for what your sister did and any fine should come out of their pockets. I strongly suggest that you and your parents seek legal counsel before agreeing to pay anything.

I had no knowledge of what she did. He said because I walked in the dressing room I should know or saw something but i just tried on what I had and went to grab a different size. Would fee would go to both of us? And if its paid off its over with? I just need to know to have a better understanding. thank you for the help so far mightymoose.

If you had no knowledge of your sister's theft then you should think twice before paying that fine. Speak with a local attorney about your options if you do in fact receive a demand letter. Your parents are on the hook for your sister's part, not you. These demands that are made rely heavily on scare tactics and intimidation, and failure to pay does not automatically mean you will end up in court. If it does make it to court they would still have to prove a case against you, and there is likely a lack of evidence to do so. Hopefully you carefully read any document they asked you to sign, but you really should not have signed anything at all. Your best option was to walk out the door and ignore them.

Here's your problem. If you fail to pay the Civil demand they can take civil action against you where fines will triple or more. They can also file a negative report with credit reporting agencies. In addition they can file a criminal complaint and then you will have to go to court. A civil action (Civil Demand) I snot an admission of guilt although it could be seen that way. Example (in reverse) OJ Simpson was found not guilty of murdering two people (Nicole and Ron) yet he was found liable for their deaths in Civil court. You need to decide if the risk is worth it. I can tell you if you contact me via PM or email I can tell you if store you were caught at uses any such database. I cannot publically divulge this info as my work has me working both sides of retail theft and it does not help me to give this info publically

Even if they take civil action against you they still have to make their argument in court that you had some responsibility. If they can't do that then it is their own loss, not yours.
Consulting with an attorney (and being honest about what happened) before you opt to pay the demand will help you to determine whether they can, or whether they will even try, to make that argument. You have no legal obligation whatsoever to pay the demand- it is entirely your choice to do so. Why would you pay if you had no knowledge of your sister's intent? Your sister committed the offense. The demand on her part will likely be paid and done away with, but there is no need for you to be involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back