accused of stealing, retail

Status
Not open for further replies.

formysister

My sister recently was accused of stealing at her retail job. She was brought in to talk with two Loss Prevention employees. They accused her of not ringing up merchandise and putting it in people's bags. She denied that this had happened but they insisted that they had proof and that she had done it. They also said that they would take her to court and sue her for $3,000. One of the loss prevention people got very aggressive with her and she started getting upset and scared. After berating her about this matter, she ended up confessing and they then made her sign something. She has worked for the company for 8 years and has never had any problems before this. She confessed because she was scared and in shock of what was happening to her.
My questions are
How can she find out what their proof is
If she confessed under duress, can she get out of the confession
What would a lawyer be able to do for her

Any help offered is much appreciated

How can she find out what their proof is
Through the discovery process in court
If she confessed under duress, can she get out of the confession
There was no duress unless threatened
What would a lawyer be able to do for her
My GOD! she looking at felony charges!! Of course she needs a Lawyer

There is also a link in my signature line for a forum just for retail theft.

Typically, people do not confess to felonies unless they actually committed them and feel cornered. They may not have any proof... they may only have what she has given them, which is a signed confession. Your sister is old enough to know better than to sign such things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back