Accused of not stopping for a school bus! Also, got a ticket for expired registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmillian

Hey guys,
Recenlty coming home from work I saw an approaching school bus as I was driving. The bus was coming in the opposite direction on a two lane raod. As we got closer to each other the driver put on the yellow lights, I pondered just stopping right there but she kept driving with the yellow lights on. I slowed down tremendously but still drove past the bus. Right as I passed the bus I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the extended stop sign from the bus coming out. Two days later I get a call from a state trooper claiming that I didnt stop for a stopped school bus.:confused: This is complete crap. Ive been driving for ten years and have a small child myself. Never in my life have I failed to stop for a school bus. ( I know what a dig deal that is)
I looked up the pa laws for stopped buses and it says you must stop for a bus if it istself is stopped with red lights flashing and its stop sign extended. The bus I passed had none of the three. I think this bus driver wants someone esle to join her rainy parade; I know her job must suck. I really think she is reaching here.
So, I guess my question is, if its just her word against mine how does the judge rule? The cop did not see this happen, he is merely going off what she claims. Aren't I innocent until proven guilty? Is her claim enough to find me guilty? And if so, isnt my claim enough to prove my innocnece?
also, apparently my registraion is expired (talk about luck) I completely forgot about it. My insurance and inspection is up to date at least. But can the cop write me a citation for drinving with expired reg even when he didnt see me driving? again, just on the bus driver's claim? And if so, I heard they can take the ticket away as long as you show proof of registration with in ten days or so. Could the cop choose to do so? Should I plead not guilty? Im confused and pissed off. Im not a reckless driver, and the registration deal was a complete overlook on my part.:mad:

Hey guys,
Recenlty coming home from work I saw an approaching school bus as I was driving. The bus was coming in the opposite direction on a two lane raod. As we got closer to each other the driver put on the yellow lights, I pondered just stopping right there but she kept driving with the yellow lights on. I slowed down tremendously but still drove past the bus. Right as I passed the bus I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the extended stop sign from the bus coming out. Two days later I get a call from a state trooper claiming that I didnt stop for a stopped school bus.:confused: This is complete crap. Ive been driving for ten years and have a small child myself. Never in my life have I failed to stop for a school bus. ( I know what a dig deal that is)
I looked up the pa laws for stopped buses and it says you must stop for a bus if it istself is stopped with red lights flashing and its stop sign extended. The bus I passed had none of the three. I think this bus driver wants someone esle to join her rainy parade; I know her job must suck. I really think she is reaching here.
So, I guess my question is, if its just her word against mine how does the judge rule? The cop did not see this happen, he is merely going off what she claims. Aren't I innocent until proven guilty? Is her claim enough to find me guilty? And if so, isnt my claim enough to prove my innocnece?
also, apparently my registraion is expired (talk about luck) I completely forgot about it. My insurance and inspection is up to date at least. But can the cop write me a citation for drinving with expired reg even when he didnt see me driving? again, just on the bus driver's claim? And if so, I heard they can take the ticket away as long as you show proof of registration with in ten days or so. Could the cop choose to do so? Should I plead not guilty? Im confused and pissed off. Im not a reckless driver, and the registration deal was a complete overlook on my part.:mad:

See if you can attend an online traffic school to dispose of the ticket.
Call the court and ask the clerk.
Otherwise, its her word against yours, UNLESS she had a camera.

You could also hire a lawyer.
If you try to defend yourself, take pictures of the roadway.
If the roadway is a divided highway or a boulevard, that is a defense.
If it isn't, things look dim.
You might even video the bus as it makes its rounds for 4 or 5 days.
Good luck!

You think the driver of a moving school bus memorized your license plate and called in a report or something? There has to be a camera involved somewhere here.

Yes, she memorized my licsence plate; we were moving that slow. I asked the cop if there was a camera. I wish there was, then I wouldnt need your guys' advice, would I? I would have my proof right there.

You should certainly fight this ticket. It is highly unlikely the bus driver will show up to court, and the officer was not present and can't testify against you.
Plead not guilty and get your registration up to date ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back