Corporate Law Accused of Leaking Company Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

artistic012

My employer contacted me personally stating that I was terminated for leaking company information. As stated by the business owner, he remarked that 'A customer contacted him saying that I was sharing company secrets and information regarding the business'. (There is no proof of this, for it never happened!) The owner stated that he would require me to take a lie detector test.

Is this slander, against me? Would I be required to take a lie detector test? Can I file a suit againist him, if one is file against me? I do believe in excercising my privacy right in referance to a lie detector...but I really do think this is going way out of hand! Can anyone please give me some information insite on the situation from a legal stand point? If you are able to find some referance material currently in law I would really appreciate. But frankly, I could really use all the help I can get at this point. I do value my job. My city is San Antonio Texas.

Last edited:
Slander may only occur when someone, such as your boss, communicates a false statement about you to a third party. Talk between the two of you would not qualify as slander.

As far as requiring you to take a lie detector test, I don't see how your former employer has any right to do so. If your boss had no proof that you uttered the statement I do not believe that there is any requirement that you "prove" your innocence by taking a lie detector test but that proof works the other way around. (It is extremely difficult to prove the "truth" of a denial and easier to indicate that the "affirmatively stated lie" was not warranted, irresponsible and likely not true.)

Originally posted by Creative210
My employer contacted me personally stating that I was terminated for leaking company information. As stated by the business owner, he remarked that 'A customer contacted him saying that I was sharing company secrets and information regarding the business'. (There is no proof of this, for it never happened!) The owner stated that he would require me to take a lie detector test.

Is this slander, against me? Would I be required to take a lie detector test? Can I file a suit againist him, if one is file against me? I do believe in excercising my privacy right in referance to a lie detector...but I really do think this is going way out of hand! Can anyone please give me some information insite on the situation from a legal stand point? If you are able to find some referance material currently in law I would really appreciate. But frankly, I could really use all the help I can get at this point. I do value my job. My city is San Antonio Texas.

ty for replying

Thanks for reply T.L.P.

I have the figures straight. An employee told him, but to protect the employee he said it was a customer. Now then, he told a contractor (before questioning me) about the situation accusing him of embezzling the supposed 'company info for his own profits'. I contacted the closest people around me after I was terminated and asked if they were the supposed 'customer' who falsely stated this information about me 'leaking info'.

Does this information better support my behalf regarding slander?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back