Assault & Battery Accused Of Assault

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbevill

I have an unusual situation. I have a hobby, I role play in a global gaming club, and recently through online interactions I encountered an individual who's gaming character was in an adversarial position to my own. We resolved this situation within the parameters of the game and all was well, or so I thought. I attended a convention in Nashville TN just after the above gaming activities occured. The fellow I had interacted with was there as well. Eventually, on the third night of the convention we encountered each other for the first time in person. I proceeded to introduce myself and extended my hand to him. He took my hand and shook, and said he already knew who I was. I placed my hand on his shoulder in common cordiality and began a conversation with him, but he responded with "Don't F*&ing touch me!" So I backed away. He then told me to "Suck his *&^%!" I replied with a hearty "F*&^ You!" and walked away. I passed him again in the lobby a few minutes later and he glared at me as I passed. I said nothing, proceeded to go to my hotel room, pack my things and left for the airport with my wife less than an hour later. 48 hours after returning home, I was informed by the chief of staff for the club director that this fellow had accused me of assaulting him, and indeed claimed that I had left marks on his person that remained for twenty minutes. Supposedly, the girl who was walking arm and arm witht he fellow, and later sitting in his lap, was the "Sober Officer on duty" at the time of the incident and not only did she claim to witness the entire event, but she also claimed that I threatened her as well. The Chief of Staff found me to be guilty of the offense and suspended me from the club for 6 months. Now, the hotel security was not alerted at any time, the security staff for the convention was not alerted, the police were not called, even the other people in the hallway where we met were not alarmed to any thing happening at the time. So now I am left with the club having a record of my being punished for Assault, and I did nothing of the sort. Further, the only witness supporting the claim against me is lying, but holds an officer position within the club. The chief of staff informed me that he was not obligated to fully disclose the details and names of the accusers because an officer on duty was the one reporting the incident and that I had only one recourse and that was appealing his decision to the club director. Assault is a serious charge, and I did not commit a crime, and the man claiming I did has reason to be spiteful toward me apparently. What I need to know is, do I have a legal recourse here? And if so what is it? Is what the club did even legal? Does reporting an alleged assault to a club official, with no authorities called, no medical verification of injuries, no photographs, or even an independent third witness to the alleged event constitute legitimacy on the part of my accusers? I am trying to figure out what to do about this as quickly as I can, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

The club can do whatever it wants. The club is governed by contractual agreements. If they violated the terms of the contract you apparently signed by agreeing to be a member, then you can hire an attorney and challenge this. Otherwise, this is a private group of individuals and they can largely do what they want.

Since it was not reported to the police, then you don't have to worry about a real-world charge ... and ... this is a club - a club concerning a fantasy on-line world ... try not to worry about it too much.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back