Account was restricted due to large deposits

Status
Not open for further replies.

wole

My bank put a restriction on my account due to large deposits sent by my mum from africa to make some payments for goods she purchased for her business. I explained to my bank the situation when asked but was told I cant make payment on her behalf as the money was above 50k. I then asked if they can open an account for her but it was impossible because she is not a resident and I had to make payments on her behalf for her to continue her business. I spoke to a business manage who said the only way is if I register as a business but I told him I have my own work and I am not prepared to do that. He promised to speak to the branch and call back which he never did. Then I made some payments on behalf of my mum. Now I do not have access to my account and I cant use my card at any cash machine or draw cash or make any transaction. What can I do as my salary for January is also in my account coupled with my mums money.The bank also locked an account i opened for my daughter in which I also have some money. I spoke to the fraud department for help but they refered me back to my branch and stated they cant help. Any adivice please

(If I may)

You need to speak with a solicitor. The bank obviously feels that there is a strong suspicion of fraudulent activity concerning the account and they are within their rights to suspend/lock the account until an investigation has been completed. They may be more willing to unlock the account if you have an attorney request they do so on your behalf.

(For what it's worth, I'm from the UK - and the banking laws there don't give the consumer anywhere near the same level of protection they might receive from a US bank)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back