Accidentally provided wrong information on voter registration

m0rgan98

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
Hi,

I literally just made an account on this forum to get advice from you guys. This one is a little complicated, but if you read carefully, you should be able to understand.

So, I am a 20-year-old US citizen residing in Germany. I've been living in Germany for 14 years. Two years ago, when I was registering to vote in the US presidential elections, I came across the question:

"What is your address in the U.S. State or territory where you are registering to vote and requesting an absentee ballot?"

But since I don't live in the US anymore I just filled in my dad's address (he lives in the US at the moment). Then, at the bottom of the form I signed the following:

"I swear or affirm, under penalty of perjury, that the information on this form is true, accurate, and complete to the best of my knowledge. I understand that a material misstatement of fact in
completion of this document may constitute grounds for conviction of perjury."

I sent in the registration, got my absentee ballot emailed, and I voted. They accepted the vote and apparently it counted.

Yesterday, I realized that two years ago I misunderstood that question. They actually wanted to know the last address in the US that I lived in.

Now I want to vote again (in the upcoming midterm elections) and to do that, I have to register again. But the thing is, I don't know if I should register using my dad's address (like last time) or register with my actual last address (which is what they actually want).

It's a dilemma because if I register using my actual last address in the US, then they will see that the information I provided does not correspond with the information of the last registration. But if I use my dad's address like last time, then it's wrong.

The question is: What do I do? Do I email the Board of Elections to tell them what happened? Or should I just register with the correct address and if they say something I'll tell them that the last time I voted I accidentally used the wrong address?

It does kinda matter because while my dad's current address is in the same congressional district as the last address I resided in, they're not in the county.

It would be so great if you guys could help me out.

Morgan

Last edited:
What do I do?

Your IPs show an address in Germany, but you're posting from San Francisco.
Don't get yourself in a jam with the US government (November's election is a federal election) by voting for some dude or dudette who wouldn't give you $2.00 to buy a double cheeseburger at Mickey D's if you hadn't eaten for six, long, belly shrinking days.

Contact the voter registration in the state where you wish to register to vote.

Once you determined how to contact the voter registrar in the applicable jurisdiction, you ask that official how best to proceed.

I suggest you be as brief as possible, avoiding a tale of last year's woes, unless asked for more clarification or explanation.

Example: "How do I register to vote in NC? I am a currently working in Germany, but have a home in Durham, NC."

Parting note: If I were you, I'd continue using my father's address, if you wish to avoid any potential legal jeopardy.

If you no longer maintain residence at the actual last address, then using your parents address was likely the correct thing to do. I agree you should contribu to use your parents address if so, otherwise register with the address you maintain as your residence in the US.
This really would not become an issue unless you attempted to vote in more than one location. People move all the time and end up on multiple voter rosters.

If you no longer maintain residence at the actual last address, then using your parents address was likely the correct thing to do. I agree you should contribu to use your parents address if so, otherwise register with the address you maintain as your residence in the US.
This really would not become an issue unless you attempted to vote in more than one location. People move all the time and end up on multiple voter rosters.

You're right. Using my dad's address sounds reasonable. However, I doubt it was the correct thing to do because on all government websites, it says I have to use the last address I resided in, even if I don't live there anymore. That's what got me worried. :confused: But honestly, it shouldn't be a big deal. I guess I'll just continue using my dad's address because as you said, I can't be voting in more than one location. That would probably make it worse.

Thanks a lot for the answer, it calmed me down a bit :)

Back