Accidental dog death or negligent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainStorm

I was visiting with my good friend and neighbor across the street when her daughter asked to go get a movie from my house. I said yes because she is 17 and she has house sat and dog sat for me on many occasions over the last two years. When she exited my house, she did not secure the door resulting in my dogs escaping. I found the door open and dogs missing approximately 5 minutes after she returned to her home. I was able to catch my golden retriever, but not so my tiny Chihuahua. After searching for several hours (with little help from them) a deputy sheriff came to my house to inform me that he believed my dog had been struck by a car and killed. I went to the location far from my home and retrieved my pet. The next morning I took him to be cremated. My question is this; is the girl or her family liable for the replacement cost of the pet? Am I allowed to sue in small claims court over a pet? I have done searches but can only find information on dog bites and vet malpractice cases. Does it matter if it was accidental on her part? Am I responsible for allowing her to retrieve a movie without adult supervision? Thank you in advance for any advice/opinion.:(

It seems to be an accident or a mistake she made by unknowing fully letting the dogs out. It would be hard for you win even if you sue in small claims court. She did not intentionally let the dogs out nor directly caused the accident. You gave her full permission to go to your place………….Your case would be weak…..I would let it fly if I were you. Accidents do happen……. I know it hurts especially when people don't show remorse or try helping after they make a mistake. Let it fly…………

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back