Accident Question

T

Thanatos0042

Jurisdiction
Texas
I was involved in a multi-car accident, considered minor as there were no injuries and no EMS called to the scene.

So the first car stopped very abruptly (I don't know why).
The middle car hit the first car from behind and very abruptly stopped.
I hit the middle car from behind.

The middle driver was cited for Failure to Yield and following too closely

I was cited for Following Too Closely.

and the cop said it was the middle driver's fault for the accident.

I have a citation to appear in court and I'm not really sure exactly what to say or do.

Was this my fault? was this her fault? are we determining that in court or will the insurance companies?

I've never been in an accident like this before and could use some advice on what to expect.

Thanks.

I was involved in a multi-car accident, considered minor as there were no injuries and no EMS called to the scene.

So the first car stopped very abruptly (I don't know why).
The middle car hit the first car from behind and very abruptly stopped.
I hit the middle car from behind.

The middle driver was cited for Failure to Yield and following too closely

I was cited for Following Too Closely.

and the cop said it was the middle driver's fault for the accident.

I have a citation to appear in court and I'm not really sure exactly what to say or do.

Was this my fault? was this her fault? are we determining that in court or will the insurance companies?

I've never been in an accident like this before and could use some advice on what to expect.

Thanks.

What the insurance companies decide has NOTHING to do with what the courts decide.

If you believe you are guilty, appear and plead guilty, or simply pay the fine by mail or online (as instructed on the citation) and avoid a court appearance.

If you believe you are NOT GUILTY, appear as instructed on the citation, plead NOT guilty and a trial date will be set.

You appear at the next hearing, and that's where you tell your story as to why you are NOT GUILTY.

You can hire a lawyer to do it for you.
If you do that, the lawyer will instruct you further.

A final option available in some cases, traffic school.
Call the court and ask if your citation qualifies for traffic school.

Traffic school wipes away the citation.

The middle driver was at fault for the damage to the car in front of him.

You're at fault for the damage to the rear of the middle car because you WERE following too closely. Had you not been following too closely you would have been able to stop without hitting the car in front of you.

Your insurance company will pay for any damage to the car in front of you regardless of whether you beat the ticket or not.

You should report the accident to your ins. co. if you haven't already. The ins. cos. will decide who is at fault for ins. purposes.

You might consider talking to a traffic law attorney re the citation you received.

Almost every time you rear end someone it's your fault for following too closely. You need to pay attention to the road and leave enough space between your vehicle and the one in front of you in case of a sudden event like the one you experienced.

Back