Abusive landlord and asking for additional money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chai

I signed a lease on in June this year to rent a room in a house of my landlord. My lease was from Aug to Dec. I told her before signing the lease that I cook at home, bake sometimes and my husband would come to stay with me for a week in August. The rent included all utilities. All was well and we got along easily until I told her about my pay and since then, her attitude change as I make much more than her.

After my husband left, the landlord asked me cough up $50 more for additional utilities that she incurred while my husband was here. Essentially, he took bath everyday. A/C was on as usual and he used to have fan on sometimes. Moreover, we went out of town on weekend.

When I told her that I do not think this is fair because it does not fit the principles. I kept telling her that it is not a matter of $50 but it is matter of principles. Since then, she started knit picking. She said that door of utility room should always be closed, etc. She started yelling, pointing fingers, chastising and being verbally abusive by saying stuff like "bull*", " i am not going to cover your a**", etc. So, I told her that I pay rent on time and I should have to take this. So, I told her that I will give 30 day notice and move out.

What I did not notice was the lease term consisted of two options: Month-month (for which there is a lease termination clause) and short term (for which there is no clause at all).

A week later, I wanted to use oven. She turned it off, started yelling, shouting, abusing, pointing fingers and asking me to get out right away.

She does not want me to stay until the end of Dec. So, she does not want to honor the contract anymore. She wants to keep the deposit back (there is no unpaid rent, the room that I live in has no damage at all). But since I would be "breaking" the lease, she wants to hold me responsibile for rent until end of Dec.

I am planning to collect as much evidence as possible and trying to figure a way out. I simply cannot negotiate with her because she would start yelling again.

Can someone please give me some suggestions as to what my options are?

PS: I re-read the rental agreement multiple times to ensure that I am not doing anything in the house to break rules and guidelines to be followed while being in the house. Also, I have always paid rent on time and would continue to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back