abuse of students by cheercoach and principle

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbw0510

Our cheerleader coach is abusive to her cheerleaders and students. She has a picture of Hitler on her desk and refers to him as her "idol". We (the parents) have no way of protecting our children from this coach. Here is a short list of what our children have been put through: Making beginners do back hand springs on concrete, denied a child medication for a migraine, refused to allow girls food during camp, after a mistake at competition told girls they embarrassed her and she wouldn't be seen with them (sat away from group giving ugly looks to the group), makes girls write down each others weaknesses and then reads them aloud adding her own thoughts (ex: told a girl that she had low self esteem and no confidence), told one girl she was nothing and no one cared who she was or what she could do, only speaks to her "favorites", punishes the squad if a parent complains (ex: she wouldn't let the girls put on their sweats during a football game in 30 degree weather. Made them sit in their uniforms freezing), tells them they aren't good enough to perform during half time and makes them sit out, when questioned about complaints from parents she lies and the principle backs her up ( the principle was her advisor while she was a student at another school). Now if she threatens the girls that if a parent complains they will be removed from the squad (Her favorite saying is "I only need one cheerleader anyway."), will not meet with any parents or return phone calls, if a cheer is not called with 60 seconds of the previous one ending (and she has a watch) she punishes the girls by making them do lunge laps on the side lines at games, etc....etc.....etc.....
If they find out I am looking for parents rights to deal with this coach and principle, it will be taken out on my daughter by not only them, but other teachers within the school. They will keep her from making cheerleader next year and the other coaches will make it hard on her.

If it is so miserable, I can't see why any of the girls would want to participate. I suspect that for all this woman's eccentricities, she must have quite a successful program (at least performance-wise) going otherwise she'd have been booted out on her ear and the cheerleaders would have already quit. Do they win awards?

It sounds like all the parents need to get together to approach the principal or the school board. If no one else is willing to come forward and join you, then you have a tough choice - go it alone, or keep silent about the excesses. There is no magic pill.

But, maybe, if you have a crusading newspaper or television news outlet in the area, maybe they'd be interested in snooping and watching a little. It would save all the parents some consternation if a news outlet threw the doors open.

- Carl

The girls don't quit because most of them have been cheering since they were 4 and 5 years old. This is what they do. This is their love. The girls are actually going to other teachers asking for them to take the program over.
No they don't win awards. You don't build a winning squad with sarcasm and cut downs.
You can't approach the principle or the board. They all went to school together. We have went both places and they cover for the coach. When they found out about the letters and meetings the girls were punished. The coach said it wasn't really punsihment, it was a learning exercise. Extra excercises, sitting out instead of performing, having to sit in the cold. Our hands are tied until I find some way to deal with this problem. Parents are scared because of the children being outcasted or threatened with being removed from cheerleading and other sports as well.
I have thought of going to the news, but if something isn't done, my daughter will be punished.

Then it may be crunch time. You either take action, or you let it go. It's not like you can secretly get the coach removed - someone has to stand up to the school administration or the school board. And, perhaps, the sight of the entire squad walking away would be a great statement. But, would all the girls be willing to take such an action? Or, as I suspect, would a handful take the action and the rest take advantage of it to better their own position on the squad?

Maybe if you dropped a dime to any crusading media outlet(s) you might have something will be done ... but, with football season almost over, the really BIG sport would seem to be over with and it might take a weeks or months for a story to get anywhere.

Good luck.

- Carl

I am not an attorney... The right thing is not always easy but it seems that a solution would be all the cheerleaders (if possible) not participate in the program. This would send a very loud message. You will not be able to change a coach's attitude. I'm frankly quite surprised that the school/league/sponsor allows this type of behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back