Absent Landlord

Status
Not open for further replies.

JasonY

Hi, my name is Jason Young, and i seem to have a problem i could not solve using the search. This may turn out to be a long post so please bare with me.

I signed a second lease with my landlord and gave him 12 postdated cheques on march 10 2006( he only cashed 4- 8 came back) when he told us he was headed on a business trip to China and would return in 2 weeks. To make a long story short i have not seen nor heard from my landlord in 4 years and 4 maybe 5 times a year i pay my rent towards his water / property tax through a City of Toronto Atornment(sp). My wife and I are the only tenants in this 2 apartment complex located above a variety store and last month those tenants moved out, i have maintained the internal workings (ie AC / Furnace units) and other minor bumps and scrapes here and there. My question is what are my options? i was told by a friend i could apply for homestead or squatters rights and claim the building as my own as long as i pay off the moneys owed in tax's, i don't want to move out and my wife if scared to stay.... Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance
jason

You might want to check with a local attorney or solicitor.

This is a US based forum.

Our systems of jurisprudence are similar, but there are subtle differences.

In the US you'd have a case for adverse possession.

The adverse possession can take anywhere from 10 to 20 years in many US states. Canada must have similar laws, so consult an attorney or solicitor.

You should also contact the local constabulary. Your landlord might have died, met a disastrous ending, or be in great peril. Did he have relatives in Toronto? Doesn't his disappearance worry you? Your wife has reason to be afraid and so should you? At least report the poor guy missing. When this is discovered, guess who they might investigate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back