About OPT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Answer from PM
heard I could get a OPT after my undergraduate degree and then another one after master degree, then one more after PhD. Is that right?
Yes that is correct.

After OPT, if I was given a working H1 visa, and if I left the country, I would need to go to the embassy, right? As long as I stay here, have a right status, I would not need to go back even my old, very old F-1 visa expired?
You will go to the embassy to get a visa reflecting your H1B status if your visa is not valid. If your visa and H1B is current you don't need the embassy. But if you remain in the US and your H1B expires and is renewed, you have to leave the US to go get it renewed at a consulate. But if you don't plan on traveling, you simply stay here and travel only when you need to go renew it. Most are valid for three years(could be less). When your first H1B expires here, you must leave the US for renewal.

so can someone just apply one F-1 visa and stay here for 20 years legally (not a student but work)???
No. You can't work out of campus with an F-1 visa. But you can remain here and study as long as you get an I-20 approved by your school without violating your status.

Did not get what you meant by this question below...... I gave and answer above.......let me know if I hit it.
GC: nothing to worry unless wants to be citizens. Should be ok....

between OPT and H1b: so after OPT, I should go out and get the H1b visa stamped at least once? right?

I dont really plan to be citizen. I just wish to work legally :)
I know there is something called "strong tied". They can reject visa for that :dunno:

I heard some people got kicked out of country when they want to get citizenship from GC. It is because of some repeating crimes. not so common tho.

Your H1b can be approved here. You don't need to go out to stamp it unless when it expires and needs renewal(the first approval is usually three years or less). You can stay once you H1B is approved here you can remain here even if your visa is not valid. You would need to travel only when renewal time reaches.

What is your question about strong tied?
You would be denied citizenship only if your crime is not within the limits of the petty crime exception.

forget about strong tie. i was just reading the embassy website and said something about that.

so i will need to send my passport for them to stamp??? so after that i would be able to go out and in?
so if i was so scared to go out of the country because of my case, i can wait until i get the H1, right? then I don't need to fill in any form like DS-156... right?

first stamp in the USA, second stamp outside, right?

Last edited:
You have to travel to go renew it in person. You can't just send your passport to them. Everyone uses for DS-156. It is an application for visa form. Renewal is done out of the US in person.

You have to travel to go renew it in person

where? in the USA INS office or oversea embassy?

that is the only thing i am still confused. sorry I am a slow learner. but now i think i know more immigration law than most people.

You renew only in an oversea embassy. Out out of the US............A US visa can't be issued in the US by law.

so i actually need to step out of usa at least one more in the future (OPT > H1)

For OPT to H1B you don't need to step out. You would step out only when the first period of you H1B visa expires. So it might be an average of three years after your H1B is approved here before you travel out to renew it.

I don't know how the US government interacts with foreign government about criminal records. They normally don't tell the public. It is hard to know. Different governments have different relationships with the US. A spent conviction is pretty much like expunction. Your offense is so small and could be view as a mistake........You should not worry about it too much even if you have to reveal. You can visit the Australia embassy's site and look for their visa forms to see what info is required. It would tell you everything they want to know from you before getting a visa. Google their visa form. You would not leave the US to get H1B approved for the first time. You would leave only when the H1B approval given expires and so you would have to go renew. On average that may be three years after your OPT. Then in most cases your employer would file for a GC for you and five years after you can become a US citizen. Once you are a US citizen you don't need a visa to go to Europe and Australia.

if company or school said they dont sponsor for visa, can one find his/her own lawyer to get the visa?

Not really. A company needs to show why a foreigner is needed to do the job.........It is a long process. You can't just do that on your own.

oic. just saw a interesting hiring a lot of instructor but they claim they would not sponsor anything, kinda disappointed.

Don't bother about companies or schools which don't sponsor.....

do high schools usually sponsor?
i have never seen a international high school teacher :eek:

I have seen some..........But they might have a GCs. I don't know........

Hello all,

I'm in the same situation myself... sort of. Iam finishing up school and my opt is to start in feb. Now i don't even have a place to do my OPT, moreless a company to sponsor me for H1! Not for want of trying i may add. It seems technical/IT degrees have it easier. Mine is in law. I am at my wit's end and would be grateful for some advice. Is there a particular niche for law that i should be targetting in terms of getting sponsorship?

What type of law are we talking about............are you a JD? How long was your course in law and what type of degree.......be more specific. It matters. Also what was your bachelors in........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back