About an Inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTPDSGT

My brother and his wife are married 5 years. They reside in NJ. Her father recently passed away, he did not have a will. Shortly after his death, they found he had several life insurance policies. He (the deceased was divorced for 15 years). My brother's wife divided the money from from the insurance companies in the following manner: her mother $40,000, the two children (one my brothers, another from a boy friend) each $80,000 and she kept the remainder $200,000 of the money for herself. My brother expected to pay off some financial obligations they had made. His wife told him that the money was divided the way her father wanted it. She also put her money in her mother's name.

Question: Can someone who receives an inheritance do that, or does it become a joint property for the husband and wife to share in?

If so, any suggestions on an attorney in the upper Ocean County NJ area.

1. Who was the beneficiary of those life insurance policies? If it was the wife, she could likely distribute the money in whatever manner she wishes once it is hers. If it was her mother... well, did her mother consent to the distribution?

2. What right do you think that your brother has to a policy taken out by his wife's father? Do you think they were named joint beneficiaries?

It all comes down to who was named the beneficiary here -- or at elast so it would seem. I do not think that 'inheritence' plays a role here since the beneficiaries of the policies -- as opposed to the father's estate -- are spelled out.

Originally posted by MTPDSGT
My brother and his wife are married 5 years. They reside in NJ. Her father recently passed away, he did not have a will. Shortly after his death, they found he had several life insurance policies. He (the deceased was divorced for 15 years). My brother's wife divided the money from from the insurance companies in the following manner: her mother $40,000, the two children (one my brothers, another from a boy friend) each $80,000 and she kept the remainder $200,000 of the money for herself. My brother expected to pay off some financial obligations they had made. His wife told him that the money was divided the way her father wanted it. She also put her money in her mother's name.

Question: Can someone who receives an inheritance do that, or does it become a joint property for the husband and wife to share in?

If so, any suggestions on an attorney in the upper Ocean County NJ area.

Greedy People

I can't believe that you and your brother are so greedy. She needs to get a divorce. It is her money! I call giving $80,000 away to your brother's son an extremely generous gesture and instead of thanking her you are wanting to sue.

I hope someone shows her this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back