Roomate Able to establish roommate agreement after move-in?

Michael3377

Jurisdiction
Virginia
Hello legal aficionados,

I moved in with my girlfriend on February 1st, 2022. Right now she is paying 40% of the rent and utilities. She is also a co-leaser and signed the contract. However, I am the primary signer. I'm wondering if it would be viable to create a contract to bind her to helping with the rent payment until the end of the lease even though we have already moved in.

Also, is there anything else I should know for trying to do this?

Thank you,
-Michael

Last edited:
I moved in with my girlfriend

You have my sincerest condolences.

. Right now she is paying 40% of the rent and utilities. I'm wondering if it would be viable to create a contract to bind her to this until the end of the lease even though we have already moved in.

Sure.

If you can do it without pissing her off. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

"You don't trust me, sob, you don't love me, sob, I'm leaving and going home to mother, sob, sob."

And we all know what sob stands for. LOL.

Also, is there anything else I should know for trying to do this?

Yeah, never get financially involved with girlfriends. Too late for that, I guess.

Good luck, brother. Hope it all works out for you.

Yeah, never get financially involved with girlfriends. Too late for that, I guess.

Never depend the finances of anyone to assist you with paying your way in this world.

WHY???

The reasons are too numerous to list.

Marriage is the one exception, however, if the marriage ends by divorce; one or both parties often get plucked.

She is also a co-leaser and signed the contract. However, I am the primary signer.

Please explain exactly what you think "primary signer" means and what you think the distinction is between "a co-leaser" and a "primary signer."

I'm wondering if it would be viable to create a contract to bind her to helping with the rent payment until the end of the lease even though we have already moved in.

I don't really understand what this question means, but you and she certainly can enter into a roommate agreement.

Back