A website to make fun of friends by tracking their online behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

pendere

My question involves a consumer law issue in the State of: New York

For a long time now, I know that there exist sites, that let the administrators of websites to track the behaviour of their site's users very precisely (they record mouse movement, clicks, scrolling, keyboard input into forms). It seems as some kind of breach of privacy, but there is many services like this and until now they live a happy life. As a site administrator using this kind of software, You probably just have to put a few more sentences into Your site's privacy policy, informing about the data gathered.

That made me think of a similar service, but not for sites' administrators - just ordinary internet users. It would work, for example, like this: person A ("the joker") uses the described service and generates a special link to fake gossip news portal. Then he sends the link to person B ("the joke victim") and when B enters the site from the link, person A can observe as B moves his mouse over the site content, clicks, inputs something into a form, etc. Consequently, A can for example see, that B decided to read a post about new Britney Spears content, and have some fun from it. A could also for example see, what B writes in comment input box, even before the comment is sent (A can then see everything B will write before deciding the post is good enough to be sent).

As the objective of webiste would be to make fun of friends, every time the person B, before exiting the site will be issued a message, explaining that he/she is a victim of a joke and that his/her friend have seen everything they've done since they clicked the link from the friend.

I was working on the site for quite a long time, but now that I am close to finish, I started to wonder (for the first time) if the idea is legal. At first, I assumed that yes (because of the portals I wrote about in the beginning), but I would like to make sure. Of course, the site will have its privacy policy and precise information about the gathered data (mouse movement, clicks, etc.) and their distribution (the fact that they can be seen by other person).

Thank You in advance.

Sorry, dear, but you're posting from Poland and that's got nothing to do with New York.

You are welcome to ask a website focusing on Polish law for your question. No one here is going to encourage you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back