A trade gone BAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cporrino

Yesterday I drove out to Tucson to look into a trade (vehicle for vehicle). I drove the truck around and it was good. We exchanged keys and titles and on the way home, the truck started smoking. I pulled of and I see a pool of oil on the floor. I got screwed.
I also realize that the name on the title is not his. So I didn't know a thing about this guy besides his name, and he's off with my jeep while I'm stuck with a broke-down truck. I was able to find the guys address, so that's a start.

Is there anything I can do to get this resolved, or did I pretty much get screwed and lose my Jeep forever?

Thanks,
==Chris==

Wow, it does not hurt to try……….It depends on the terms of your trade agreement with him. If there is no paper work, he would claim you knew the condition of the car and accepted the trade. That would make it hard for you to succeed. But you can always try……….Buying such a car without confirming ID is risky. You have to even make sure it is not a stolen car.

As soon as we parted our ways, I realized that we should have made a trade contract of some sort. Then when I broke down, I realized how big of a mistake I made. Obviously he stopped answering the phone. Luckily he slipped and gave me his full name in an email earlier. I was able to find his address. So if there is anything I can do legally, I know where he is.

You can sue for the repairs in small claims, or to annul the sale given the title was not in his name and the condition of the car. So you can file it in small claims court or civil court depending on how much you are claiming or what actions you seek. You should contact the small claims court in his area and find out if they do handle such claims. If not they would advice you on a higher or other civil court. You can handle this without a lawyer.......So make some calls there and see what your options are to annul or get money for repairs. Your chances of success are not very good............But it is worth a try. Just keep any evidence or have your witnesses ready if needed.

i would be much better off if I would have made a contract/ bill of sale for the trade. This stinks. It's not like I can get the trade reversed because the truck title's not in his name, because there's no evidence that it was a trade. Except that the title's were dated on the same day. And unfortunately I met him alone, so I have no witnesses (another bad move).

Just try to check first to make sure the car is not stolen. That should be your biggest worry now. It is true you chances are not good. We all make mistakes............it could happen to anyone.

Got the title put in my name yesterday. So that's good. Repair only cost me $600 (not including the $300 tow bill). Might just count my losses and be done with it.

Smart move........court cost, time and headaches are simply not worth it at times.......even when you are correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back