A tale of identity theft of a minor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hermantoothrot

My girlfriend is in a rather horrible situation: her mother opened up a credit card in her name, racked up a boatload of credit, and then hasn't paid a dime.

Now, her mother is broke as a joke and has absolutely no chance of paying them back. My girlfriend is unable to afford it, and is too scared to file a police report against her own mother.

This is where the question comes in:
She's 17, she has no legitimate father, and her family will ostracize her if she does this... meaning she won't have a home if she files.
On the other hand, she cannot wait to clear her credit because she has to apply soon for financial aid for her university tuition or she can't go and with this very large black mark, I'm sure student loans are completely out of the question. Her mother is a horrible enough person to steal her credit and deny any responsibility as well, so a mediator will be a fruitless endeavor.

She's past the point of emancipation (which applications end when you're 17 and three months in PA) but too young to legally live on her own. No family to take her in, either. What would happen in this situation if her mother was sentenced? She couldn't live with that horrible woman if she knows her daughter "rebelled" by following the law, but she can't legally leave either.
Can I please get some advice here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back