1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

A person dear to me Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI

Discussion in 'DUI, DWI, BUI, Drunk Driving' started by happyamma, Feb 27, 2021.

1. happyamma

happyamma Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Oklahoma
    A person dear to me had DUI on 2014 January 1st, she was 21 at that time and in college. She applied for US citizenship and got rejected because of her DUI charges. Later she recovered from it and working, being a good citizen. My question now is it ok to retry to send her citizenship application, or are there any steps in between to take care of?

2. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

After 7 years and assuming she completed all the post-conviction requirements and is no longer on probation, I think she'd be good to go. But that's just my 2 cents worth.

She's really got nothing to lose by applying again.

Apply for Citizenship

Red Kayak likes this.
  3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

A good citizen of what country? Since you told us her application for citizenship was denied, I assume she went back to her home country. Correct?

Is it ok? It's ok with me. The smart thing would be for this person to consult with an immigration attorney.

4. adjusterjack

adjusterjack Super Moderator

Why would you assume that?

I person's citizenship application can be denied and they can continue being a legal permanent resident.

cynthiag and army judge like this.
  5. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

DUI is not the type of serious crime that would be a permanent roadblock to citizenship. Your friend likely just needed enough time to pass and might have no trouble now.

happyamma likes this.
  6. happyamma

happyamma Law Topic Starter New Member

That's correct, she is a permanent resident of USA (green card holder) and she continues to be here but maintained good conduct.