A neighbor's responsibility to disclose a Megan's Law neighbor to prospective renters

Status
Not open for further replies.

chowhound

Please advise what my legal responsibility is in the following matter:

I am the nextdoor neighbor/homeowner in a So Cal, residential area, to a newcomer family that now seeks to rent their home. I have knowledge of another neighbor living in close proximity who's a registered sex offender, and I have yet to share this information with my neighbor, soon-to-become landlord.

A few years ago I researched the nature of offender's crime...a sex crime against a 14 yr old girl; the offender did weekend time and remains married, living in his home...he minds his own business.

Do I have any obligation under the law to advise my neighbor so they might disclose this to prospective renters who have children? Could I be held liable in withholding this information should heaven-forbid, another sex crime occur, this time against a prospective renter's child? Again, I'm only a neighbor to the landlord, but I have special knowledge.

Rephrased, does the landlord and the prospective tenant share total responsibility in due diligence here, or am I also obligated to disclose my information?

No, you are not obligated in any way shape or form.

You cannot be held liable for the lack of due diligence on someone else's part.

You also cannot get into trouble for sharing the information with your soon-to-be neighbor, as long as it's all true.

OP, please be aware, some convictions do get overturned and/or expunged.

My unsolicited advice, don't ask, don't tell.

Let people discover things for themselves.

Don't ask, don't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back