A leg to stand on

justjazzyb

i purchased a vehicle from my ex thru our son.He would not give me any documents concerning the transaction. Before we could transfer title the car was hit while parked and totaled. My exe kept what I paid for the car 1000plus 4690 from ins and he will not respond to any communication .I did not know he surrendered the car until 2 days after it was taken without my knowledge,I have filed suit in small claims for car and all the expenses and separate suit for my belongs that were in the car as I had no opportunity to retrieve them. I have copies of text regarding same. Have I got a chance to recover?

Last edited:
i purchased a vehicle from my ex thru our son.He would not give me any documents concerning the transaction. Before we could transfer title the car was hit while parked and totaled. My exe kept what I paid for the car 1000plus 4690 from ins and he will not respond to any communication .I did not know he surrendered the car until 2 days after it was taken without my knowledge,I have filed suit in small claims for car and all the expenses and separate suit for my belongs that were in the car as I had no opportunity to retrieve them. I have copies of text regarding same. Have I got a chance to recover?

From your account of these events, you have the necessary elements with which you can use to try and prove your case.

You just might prevail.

But, and this is a massive BUT, once you receive a judgment, you'll have to track down the deadbeat's assets and attempt to get the sheriff to enforce the judgment.

That effort is successful in fewer than five percent of small claims cases.

Good luck.

You have a "chance" but no one here can say for sure you will win. Even if you win, the hard part is collecting on the judgment. The court doesn't collect it for you. Good luck.

Back