A Dead 12 Year Old, Details.

B

Boscho

Jurisdiction
Maryland
My 12 year old nephew died tragically in his room on November 6th 2015.

Everyone is very suspicious of the circumstances. The county has an open and ongoing investigation.

His mother threatened me with defamation and harassment charges for even asking for details.

I would like to create a website and put fliers in mail boxes describing what happened that night and leading up to it. No opinions, no assumptions, just line by line facts.

If I were to produce a pamphlet or website with a list of facts could I be charged with defamation?

If you proceed you'll regret it.
If you're smart, I suggest you say nothing and allow the police to do their job.
If you're a person of faith, I suggest you follow the tenets of your faith or seek counseling for your grief.
Otherwise, you're free to do whatever you want to do.
You might not like what others do if you proceed with your website and other plans.

Really? You have "facts" about the case? Real facts that prove the parents or other household members are at fault?

If so, why are these facts not in the hands of authorities? A website and pamphlets will get you nowhere. If these facts are indeed facts, spend your energy convincing the authorities that they are true.

Why in God's or any other deity's name would you harass a grieving mother for details about her dead child?!? Are you that insensitive or just evil? What possible purpose would a website and fliers in the mailboxes of grieving neighbors serve?? Why do you think they want your version of the "facts"? If there is an investigation in process, you risk jeopardizing it, and very well could be charged yourself with interfering with an investigation. Depending upon what you say and how you go about this, yes, you very well may be guilty of defamation and harassment. If you actually have useful information that authorities do not already have, share it with them privately. Not via website or pamphlet.

Pretend you are a decent human being, apologize profusely to the mother (your sister?) for your actions to date. The only comments you should be making to her at this point are to express your condolences and offering to help her with anything she asks you to do while she grieves. That means fixing meals, household chores, maybe offering to help go through your nephews things, bring a shoulder to cry on, etc. You may have already burned that bridge, but if you are sincere in wanting to help, that is the way to do it.

Back