A Bit of Advice for a Teen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjoplin2009

My jurisdiction is: Texas

Hello good people. =)

I am in a slight predicament. I am seventeen years old, and engaged. Some might say this is unwise, but I have been with my man for almost three years now. He is in the ARMY, and we plan to get married (a small JP ceremony) this December. My mother has granted her permission whole-heartedly, and his parents are also very happy. =)

But there is a slight problem. His parents want me to move in with them, something I very much want to do. He does not live there, as I previously stated, he is in the ARMY and is stationed at Ft. Drum, NY right now. He comes home for Christmas Leave in December. Which is a small reason his parents want me to move in. That way, when he comes to visit, we are all there together, and I am not stealing him away from them so that I can spend time with him.

The slightly negative reasons they want me to move in are as follows:

--I live in a two bedroom duplex with my mother, her fiance, older and younger sisters, and my grandmother. A total of six people living in two bedrooms.
--I share a room with my two sisters while granny sleeps on the couch in the living room.
--I do not know if you have ever been inside a duplex, but the bedrooms are tiny.
--Four people sharing one tiny bathroom.
--My grandmother and I do not get along very well...or at all really. However I am very close to my mother and her finace and my younger sister.

The more positive reasons they want me to move in are as follows:

--My fiance's little sister (Nikki) and I have been best friends for four years, inseparable. In fact, that is how i met Aaron (My fiance) in the first place.
--I will have my own bedroom there.
--Only person I would share a bathroom with is Nikki. (My best friend)
--Nikki and I work together and could save gas money by carpooling to work everyday.

I am very fond of Aaron's parents. I have been calling them Mom and Dad for years because Nikki and I are so close. And they are the ones who put the idea of moving in with them to light. They are practically forcing me infact. But I need to know that it is legal before I do this. I dont want to hurt my mother, but Granny and I cannot be in the same room together without fighting, and I cannot live in this cramped house. It is literally suffocating. Arron's parents have been pushing me to move in since Aaron and I got engaged, which was in late July of this year. And as I stated, I really want to.

I just need to know if a 17 year old who has a steady job, steady income to cover my bills, a way to and from work, and a place to stay can legally move out of her house.

Q: I just need to know if a 17 year old who has a steady job, steady income to cover my bills, a way to and from work, and a place to stay can legally move out of her house.

A: Yes, when you turn 18.

You can move if your parents agree to it. Your parents will probably need to sign releases for your school and doctors, as well as a health directive in the event you need urgent care. You don't mention dad, but if he's alive and has any type of custody, he'll need to permit it too.

If they don't agree, there's a slight chance you could get legally emancipated, which is what it sounds like you're getting at in your post. Emancipation paperwork can be found online or through your county clerk's office.

A very slight chance indeed. If I remember correctly, Texas will only emancipate a teen if they are ALREADY living outside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back