A bicycle hit my car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driver

Hello,

I have two simple questions, please. As my car was waiting to turn onto the street, a bicycle going the wrong way on a sidewalk hit the side of my car. The police report states that the bicyclist was at fault. The bicyclist has been calling me, asking for a sum of money to fix his bike, and states that if I don't call him back and pay he will go to an attorney and also discuss supposed injuries received in the accident. If I do pay, he states that he will not pursue this any further.

I would like to just pay the small amount of money to have this go away, though I am concerned that if it doesn't go away, this could be construed as some sort of admission of guilt on my part. Do you agree?

I have not called the bicyclist thus far, and would like to, at least just to say that though I feel bad for the situation, I am not at fault and am not comfortable paying. I hesitate to make the call, though. I'm thinking that just making the call can affect me negatively in some manner. Do you agree, or am I just being paranoid?

(I did contact my auto insurer that day, and Claims suggested that I wait to inform them of the accident until such time the bicyclist makes a claim, especially as there was no damage to my vehicle.)

Thanks very much!

Listen to your insurance company.
Don't pay tribute.
Patience in all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back