9-21-5-11(c)(2) - Workzone Speeding

Buck4915

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I am a registered New York state driver and have received a "9-21-5-11(c)(2) - Workzone Speeding - Workers Not Present" ticket at the exact moment the thruway transitioned from a non construction zone into a construction zone, having my speed as I was slowing down from the original speed limit of 70 mph to 45 mph clocked at 68 mph.
Having not admitted directly to the officer who distributed the ticket to me at the time, it is quite clear to me that my violation is accurate.

My dilemma here is that I travel on the road for a living, and am only passing through Indiana during the month of early May (When I received the ticket), late August, and early October. I am curious as to what my best course of action should be.

Should I admit and pay the fine? Should I see about a plea bargain? Or are there other options possibly available for me that I do not know of?

The best option usually is to pay the fine and complete a traffic school course. This additional class prevents points from being reported on your license, and it can even get you an insurance discount (sometimes).

Indiana won't report the conviction/points to New York.

I have never seen any out of state conviction on anyone's New York license, except for a DWI/DUI.

Taking a class will only affect his Indiana driving record.

Should I admit and pay the fine?

Should I see about a plea bargain?

Or are there other options possibly available for me that I do not know of?

The answer to all of your questions is, yes, great idea.

Whatever you do, do NOT ignore the citation.

Do NOT allow the court date to pass without pleading not guilty, asking for traffic school, or pleading guilty.

You must also make sure you pay all fines, fees, and costs.

If you have a CDL, you will lose that CDL if you choose to do nothing.

Either way, its your call, so be smart about it.

Do NOT allow the court date to pass without pleading not guilty, asking for traffic school...

Just to clarify, there's no traffic school. Well, there is but it does not defer or eliminate a conviction. It simply reduces points for Indiana-licensed drivers, which means nothing to the OP anyway since points are not an issue here.

I can't see the OP winning and even if there is plea bargaining I don't think it would have much effect on the fine amount - it might even result in a higher fine.

Just to clarify, there's no traffic school. Well, there is but it does not defer or eliminate a conviction. It simply reduces points for Indiana-licensed drivers, which means nothing to the OP anyway since points are not an issue here.

I can't see the OP winning and even if there is plea bargaining I don't think it would have much effect on the fine amount - it might even result in a higher fine.

I was expressing concerns more so if OP held a CDL, or was a professional bus driver.

OP said he travels on the road to make a living.

I was expressing concerns more so if OP held a CDL, or was a professional bus driver.

OP said he travels on the road to make a living.

Funny how different people get totally different impressions based upon what is said! The thought of him being a CDL driver didn't even cross my mind.

Funny how different people get totally different impressions based upon what is said! The thought of him being a CDL driver didn't even cross my mind.

Which is why I regularly suggest most posters discuss their issues with a couple local attorneys.

This medium isn't for complex legal matters.

I think people understand when to see a physician, but avoid seeing a dentist, attorney, or CPA.

In this case a traffic citation even got somewhat complicated.

Back