80 MPH in a 55 MPH work zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

brickmason212

Yesterday morning I was pulled over for going 80 MPH in a 55 MPH work zone ($250 Max Fine). I was running late for work. I didn't know that the work zone had already begun. Anyhow, I moved to NC in NOV of 2004. I haven't made the time to get my NC driver's license. I currently have a VA driver's license. My only other ticket happened in 2001, otherwise my record is clean. I really regret the whole situation. It gives me that sick tinglely feeling when I think about it.

I don't have that kind of money to pay. And I don't want my insurance to go up. I really don't want any consequences. I HAVE LEARNED my lesson! Also, I am going to get my NC driver's license on MON or TUES.

My mom on the other hand, she lives in VA and has Pre-Paid legal. Does that work and would I be covered under her policy?

I need all the options and the best available.

THANK YOU

How old are you?

NC will suspend your licence to drive in NC if convicted of more than 15 over. VA will suspend it if convicted of more than 20 over so you are screwed either way. You may have other problems in NC if they learn you have been working resident in NC without getting an NC licence.

As far as the pre-paid legal, doubtful but give them a call to see if they will help. Even if you are covered, it is unlikely they can do much good unless they have access to someone in NC with connections to the "good 'ole NC boys" where you received the citation.

You are going to need a lawyer if you want to keep driving. You may want to hold getting your NC licence until you talk to a lawyer.

NC Traffic Points

If you are a full time student then you would be covered under your Mom's pre-paid legal policy. If so they will provide a North Carolina attorney at no cost to fight this speeding ticket. Otherwise you may want to think about getting your own pre-paid plan since you are now probably going to have something on your record and will need help if you get in more trouble. You can sign up now and they will cover you but not for free.

VA will suspend it if convicted of more than 20

Not true Robbie. If it is a speeding ticket it will count as six points but not a suspension. I'm not sure if the points would double since it is a work zone but that would still only be 12. Your Virginia drivers license is subject to suspension if you accumulate 18 points within 12 months or 24 points within 24 months.

I really don't want any consequences.
Yeah, and I want to be Paris Hilton's boyfriend. Go in and talk to the ADA handling your case and see what you can work out. Then talk to the VA and NC DMV's to see how it will transfer before you agree to anything. NC has a mandatory insurance increase for traffic tickets. You may want to rethink moving to NC.

Not true Robbie. If it is a speeding ticket it will count as six points but not a suspension.

Sorry, I jumped to the conclusion that since NC would report a suspension back to VA where if convicted of speeding in excess of 20 mph over the limit or over 80 mph is statutory reckless driving.

Would a conviction of more than 20 over out of state automatically become reckless when reported back to the VA DMV?

Would a conviction of more than 20 over out of state automatically become reckless when reported back to the VA DMV?

No. It is just speeding but still six points. VA does have a speeding violation that they sometime reduce to from the reckless. Probably treated the same as far as insurance is concerned. Some insurance companies are dropping anyone that gets a 20+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back