7 year old Parking Tickets listed as Collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcostello1975

I have a credit report question.

I just ordered my credit reports and Im showing that a scavenger debt collector has placed 6 collections against me for parking tickets issued in Washington DC over 7 years ago. They just listed them as collections within the last couple months. How can they do this? I thought 3 years is the age for pursuing debt (in VA and DC via statuate of limitations), and only debt 7 years from date of occurance/last activity can be placed on a credit report, regardless of where its from? Ive never been aware of these tickets, so the orginal date of issuance would be date of last activity I guess.

How does this apply to parking tickets in DC? How can they place a collection account on a parking ticket that is 7 years old? They dont show date of last activity on the collection entry, date of write off, etc. What can I do?

Ive initiated a dispute with each credit bureau (and will continue to do so as they appear on my reports). I got the information above by calling the collection agency. I didnt admit they were mine (dont know if they are or not actually).

I guess my next step would be to request specific documents relating to these tickets? Is it true that they must have copies of each ticket for it to be valid? Any tips in that area?

My last step would be to get a lawyer in either VA or DC, not sure which. I live in VA and teh tickets were issued in DC. Help in this area would be much appreciated.

Also - is it true that a collection agency can remove an entry, even though they ALWAYS say no?

You need a "verification of debt". They cannot provide this, so this will start the win.

Next, what are the statute of limmitations on this? 7 years for an infraction seems wrong.

They have to remove any entry that cannot be verified.

Thanx Scooter! When you say verification of debt, what exactly would they need to provide? Its obvious to me they bought this debt. Would they have to provide some sort of orginal document, say copies of the orginal ticket? I appreciate your feedback!

7 years? I was basing that comment on the fact that negative information can only be on yoru credit report for 7 years from date of default. As far as statute, I believe its 3 years to pursue in court. They can still report to a credit bureau within that 7 years, correct?

mcostello1975,

I too have had the same identical experience. I just got two letters from a collection agency only a couple of days ago. Probably the same agency. One was for very old red light camera infractions that I swear I already paid years ago to another collections agency. The other for old parking tickets that were several years old. I was alarmed to find a collection notice on my experian credit report. I wrote back to the collection agency requesting proof for both letters. I don't think it's fair to put a collection on your credit report before they even notify you of the debt! I wasn't even aware of the parking tickets. They are also for insane amounts. $250 for camera tickets and $450! for parking ticktes!

Let me know how it turns out for you. At a minimum I will hardball them to greatly reduce the fines. Since they have already messed up my credit report they have lost their leverage and I will refuse to pay unless they lower the fine and remove the collection.

Thanx Scooter! When you say verification of debt, what exactly would they need to provide? Its obvious to me they bought this debt. Would they have to provide some sort of orginal document, say copies of the orginal ticket? I appreciate your feedback!

Here is a kit:

http://www.uslegalforms.com/formspackages/fdcpa-package.htm

Letter - Verification of alleged debt pursuant Section 809 of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA) covering validation of debts

7 years? I was basing that comment on the fact that negative information can only be on your credit report for 7 years from date of default. As far as statute, I believe its 3 years to pursue in court. They can still report to a credit bureau within that 7 years, correct?

OK, I misunderstood, I thought he was attempting to take you to court, which he just may do. I had one do this over a bad check this summer. He didn't even make it to court before the judge threw the case out the window. Just dont' be suprised if he were to file, which you could get dismissed with a simple motion.

In Montana, they go from the date that demand for payment was sent. Usually, they send this out right away(stupid mistake on their part). So, in Montana, you could make a 3 year debt, drag out to six years if you did it right.

You will need to check your states laws. There are SOL for different kinds of debt. I don't understand where parking tickets come into this, I'm confused on that one lol. I understand what you are saying, just question the legality of selling "fines" to debt collectors.

As for reporting for seven years. I don't know. You will need to look this up. I think if you sent a letter of verification, which 3 party debt collectors really seem to have a problem answering, would be a good start.

I will continue to look for a VOD form, will send it to you in pm if I find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back