Giving Notice 60 Day non eviction notice to vacate due to construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

stressing

LANDLORD GAVE ME A 60 DAY NON-EVICTION NOTICE TO VACATE. SHE SAID THAT THEIR INSURANCE WANTS MAJOR REPAIRS DONE TO THE HOUSE AND PART OF THE REPAIRS ARE REDOING THE FOUNDATION OF THE HOUSE. SHE DID NOT OFFER ME BACK THE PROPERTY AFTER THE REPAIRS WERE DONE. BASICALLY SHE WANTS ME TO PAY RENT FOR THE NEXT 2 MONTHS And be able to afford to get another place. Does she by law have to pay me relocation costs. I have no money to move especially if I am required to pay rent for the next 60 days. If she is required to pay relocation costs, how do I go about letting her know that. I am sure she already knows if its the case, she is just banking on the fact that I may not know and hoping to get away with not paying. If that is the case.

LANDLORD GAVE ME A 60 DAY NON-EVICTION NOTICE TO VACATE. SHE SAID THAT THEIR INSURANCE WANTS MAJOR REPAIRS DONE TO THE HOUSE AND PART OF THE REPAIRS ARE REDOING THE FOUNDATION OF THE HOUSE. SHE DID NOT OFFER ME BACK THE PROPERTY AFTER THE REPAIRS WERE DONE. BASICALLY SHE WANTS ME TO PAY RENT FOR THE NEXT 2 MONTHS And be able to afford to get another place. Does she by law have to pay me relocation costs. I have no money to move especially if I am required to pay rent for the next 60 days. If she is required to pay relocation costs, how do I go about letting her know that. I am sure she already knows if its the case, she is just banking on the fact that I may not know and hoping to get away with not paying. If that is the case.

You might start by speaking with your city/county building, housing, or health department. See if they can offer you information about the reason(s) for the notice. If its just a notice to vacate, it's simply a 60 day warning that the LL wants you to leave.

If you stay during the 60 days, you'll still need to pay your rent. You need more facts, then you can decide what to do.

If you have been given notice to vacate you can likely leave before the end of 60 days... of course the landlord wants you to stay for two months rather than let the place sit empty, but you may not have to.
The 60 days is a maximum limit, not a minimum.

What kind of lease do you have?
I have a month to month rental agreement. I just moved in Dec 2013, and she told me when she gave me the notice last week that they have known about this since the spring of this year, that they have a certain amount of time to get the work done to the house.

I have a month to month rental agreement. I just want to know if she is by law is required to pay me relocation costs due to the fact she is telling me to vacate because they have to do foundation construction? In Los Angeles county it is mandatory that a landlord pays relocation costs if vacating a tenant for repairs. I think it is 3 times the amount of 1 month rent, So basically they have to pay 3 mos rent to the tenant for relocation costs. But I can not seem to find information for Riverside county California. I do not have anywhere to go because I do not have enough money saved to move in to another place, and since she still wants rent for July and August, I wont have money then either. This is basically putting me in a homeless situation. Again it is not an eviction, but if I do not move out in 60 days it will be one.

In your scenario I can't think of any reason why the landlord would be obligated to pay you anything.
You are a month to month tenant and you have been given twice the amount of notice to vacate that was necessary. The landlord is legally ending your lease. It is time for you to make plans to move.

Nuff said Moose. Ditto. You received more than adequate notice. What you are citing is for early termination and not the case in your situation.

Why would you think you should be paid relocation costs? You were given 60 days notice & you said you are month to month.

If the landlord is ordered by the regulatory agency (city or county) to make repairs, in California the tenant gets compensation according to their state law. Read the link, my friends. Our CA brothers and sisters are very unique, but so are the other 49 states.

See page 6 item 7 of this article! This appears to be what OP has been hammered improperly with, and it seems the Ll in this situation is required to pay SOME money to the tenant. I would think its compensation of sorts for having the leasehold snatched from under the poor tenant.

http://www.inlandlegal.org/publications/landlord_tenant.pdf

http://www.landlord.com/lawresoverview.htm

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/repairs.shtml

Last edited:
If you do not leave you will be a holdover tenant. You will not be awarded anything. The habitability is not currently a safety issue or you would be required to move.

If the repairs aren't causing an early termination of the lease there is nothing due to the tenant. The landlord is giving ample notice to end the lease first. The tenant won't be owed anything.

Thank you Army Judge. I am a first year law student, and I am just having a little trouble finding the information I need. I dont know the answer that is why I am asking. This is replying to the others. Not Army Judge. I realize I am on a month to month, and I realize that I have been given 60 days. BUt I am a single mother with 2 kids. I do not make a whole lot of money. I can not afford to pay rent for the next 60 days and try and save money to move in to another place. Since I am not the reason that I am having to move, I just want to know if the landlord is required to pay relocation costs, because in Los Angeles county they are required to. Even if you are month to month. What does that have to do with anything. Yes a month to month can be terminated by either side with a 30 day notice, I get that. But what protects me from having to live on the streets because I have been pulled from my home and can not afford the outrageous security deposits these California landlords want. Technically, this house is substandard dwelling. the repairs they are doing to the house are dealing with lead based paint, the foundation, which is structural, and the roof needing replaced. If code enforcement was involved with this, the landlord would not be able charge me rent and they would be liable to compensate me from as little as 100 to as much as 5000.00. But code enforcement is not involved yet. This has been asked to be done by the landlords insurance. So I just want to know what protects me. Because code enforcement is not the ones who told them to make the repairs. I did find out that the landlord is supposed to give the tenant the option to continue renting after the repairs are done. She did not even do that. I am just asking for advise. I dont need to be told how much time I have been given or being asked what am I thinking . WHy should my landlord pay. Because I am a single mom struggling and being thrown out of my home and not having the means to get another place. Not for anything other that construction on the house. Thank you all for your advice. Thank you Army Judge for sticking up for me. I appreciate it. I just want direction and help. I have to take care and protect my children.

Stressing

Thank you Army Judge. I am a first year law student, and I am just having a little trouble finding the information I need. I dont know the answer that is why I am asking. This is replying to the others. Not Army Judge. I realize I am on a month to month, and I realize that I have been given 60 days. BUt I am a single mother with 2 kids. I do not make a whole lot of money. I can not afford to pay rent for the next 60 days and try and save money to move in to another place. Since I am not the reason that I am having to move, I just want to know if the landlord is required to pay relocation costs, because in Los Angeles county they are required to. Even if you are month to month. What does that have to do with anything. Yes a month to month can be terminated by either side with a 30 day notice, I get that. But what protects me from having to live on the streets because I have been pulled from my home and can not afford the outrageous security deposits these California landlords want. Technically, this house is substandard dwelling. the repairs they are doing to the house are dealing with lead based paint, the foundation, which is structural, and the roof needing replaced. If code enforcement was involved with this, the landlord would not be able charge me rent and they would be liable to compensate me from as little as 100 to as much as 5000.00. But code enforcement is not involved yet. This has been asked to be done by the landlords insurance. So I just want to know what protects me. Because code enforcement is not the ones who told them to make the repairs. I did find out that the landlord is supposed to give the tenant the option to continue renting after the repairs are done. She did not even do that. I am just asking for advise. I dont need to be told how much time I have been given or being asked what am I thinking . WHy should my landlord pay. Because I am a single mom struggling and being thrown out of my home and not having the means to get another place. Not for anything other that construction on the house. Thank you all for your advice. Thank you Army Judge for sticking up for me. I appreciate it. I just want direction and help. I have to take care and protect my children.

Stressing

That's not true.

Landlords in LA are only required to bear relocation costs in very specific circumstances - by no means does every tenant and every rental situation fit the criteria.

Your situation, as you describe it, does not entitle you to relocation fees.

An example of what might call for relocation to be paid: Your landlord requires you to move out prior to the end of your lease (however long) without providing the required notice and causing undue hardship on you as a result.

The reasons you give are irrelevant. Your landlord is not causing an early termination of your lease. You have been given double the legal notice required to make arrangements for yourself. Your inability to come up with the money move is not landlord's fault.

If you fail to leave on time expect eviction proceedings to begin.

60 days is a long time to find new living arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back