5 year 'probate' on house tax unpaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoliDay

Mom passed in 2005. a living trust for her estate. the executor (her lawyer) distributed stocks and assets to us. We asked to keep her house in lue of our share. our stocks were redistributed accordingly. I haven't recieved anything reguarding ownership of the house (has no liens) and i recently found it has no ins. and none of the 5 yrs. tax has been paid. I contacted him and he said that he had sent papers long ago for me to take and have 'recorded' (never came). he asked if i had been paying the taxes (i haven't). he would (re)gather up the papers and send them out. now won't return a dozen calls over 2 months. what is my best avenue to follow. i don't want my house lost @ tax sale. who owns the house while it is waiting for distribution? is there any reason for the executor to hold up the transfer? he is considered a fami;y friend. just give me a little hope that everything is prolly OK and he'll come around in time. thank you. H

Mom passed in 2005. a living trust for her estate. the executor (her lawyer) distributed stocks and assets to us. We asked to keep her house in lue of our share. our stocks were redistributed accordingly. I haven't recieved anything reguarding ownership of the house (has no liens) and i recently found it has no ins. and none of the 5 yrs. tax has been paid. I contacted him and he said that he had sent papers long ago for me to take and have 'recorded' (never came). he asked if i had been paying the taxes (i haven't). he would (re)gather up the papers and send them out. now won't return a dozen calls over 2 months. what is my best avenue to follow. i don't want my house lost @ tax sale. who owns the house while it is waiting for distribution? is there any reason for the executor to hold up the transfer? he is considered a fami;y friend. just give me a little hope that everything is prolly OK and he'll come around in time. thank you. H

This is at best, an unusual situation.

At worst, this might be something approaching fraud.

Hire another attorney ASAP.

Check with the local taxing authority and see if your mother still owns the house.

Also see, what the back taxes total.

My suspicions have been aroused.

Yours should be, too.

Always, TRUST, but VERIFY.

It might not be too late!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back