4 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

whatwasisgone

December 3rd I was pulled over for driving 38 in a 40 during a school zone making the speed limit 20. The school zone ended at 9:15am, my citation reads 9:19am and on the line where it reads school zone there is a definite NO. I went to court today for the citation and because the police officer gave a verbal time of 9:13am I have no choice but to either pay the citation or to attend a trial by the court or trial by jury.

I did NOTHING wrong, it is not that I mind paying the $320 that is owed, but it is the principal of the thing. Why should I have to pay for something I did NOT do?

Is there anything I can do?

I set a court date for trial by jury but if I loose I still have to pay the citation and court fees to boot.

Can someone please give me some direction? Should I just pay the citation and cancel the court date or give it a go?

You need to check the statute number on the ticket. A school zone is a different statute. That is what you are charged with and that is all they can find you guilty of.

It is likely you can call the prosecutor once they set a court date and work out a deal. If the officer wrote the wrong statute number do not call their attention to it. You would need to wait until the state rests in the trial to request a directed verdict. Otherwise they can ammend the ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back