30 day notice in NY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notahappyhome

I live in NY and my boyfriend and I are renting a home and are on a 1 year lease. We have two roommates that are not on the lease but we did verbally agree that we were going to stay there for the whole year. The roommates are boyfriend and girlfriend and the girl got pregnant within one month of moving in. We all decided that it would be best if they moved out. We did not receive a definite date of when they were moving out until August 22nd. On that day they told us they were moving out the first weekend in September which only gave us a two week notice. We can not get anyone to move in until the 15th so we told them that since we didn't have a 30 day notice they had to pay for half of the months rent. But they said that since we knew since may that they were leaving we have no right to receive half months rent. Can we keep their security deposit which is equal to their share of half the months rent or can we hold it until they pay. Do we even have legal right to take them to court for this since we did have a verbal agreement that they needed to give us a thirty day notice? Also can we hold onto their security deposit until all outstanding bills are paid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back