3 day pay or quit notice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosecali

I live in Sacramento and my husband recently served our tenant a 3 day pay or quit notice (for not paying rent). He didn't want to give her our home address (we manage our own rental) and didn't want her to mail the rent (because she has already bounced 4 checks) so he gave the address of the rental as the address to which she should pay the rent to. His rationale is that he would just meet her at the rental to accept payment. I tried to convince him that he should not do that, but he didn't listen.

I would like to know if our 3 day notice is legitimate or not. Will the judge say it was not property written because it didn't give an address other than the rental house? I would like to know before we start the eviction process. Thanks!

According to the attached, the 3 day notice must include the name, address and telephone number of the person to whom rent is owed:

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/terminations.shtml

This doesn't say that the notice has to include the landlords home address because, of course, in many rental situations rent is sent to a property management company, business office of the landlord, PO box, etc.. It is doubtful that this notice would not be considered legitimate because it listed the rental address as the place to accept the rent at (although California has some strange landlord tenant laws!)

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back