3/4 Time but with unpaid breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharley

What are the laws in CO about variable work schedules / stringing people around with long , 2-4 hour long unpaid breaks during a regular work day. I was told by HR that they consider our dept to be 'job share' ( which it is NOT). We were hired for 3/4 time, not js or half time. Some people have been doing this job for over 18 yrs. but since I can't get another pt job along with this one, I really don't know what to do. I really love my job.
Below is a detailed explanation of what I have been going thru.

I have a driving job with our county govt., was hired 3 quarter time with an unwritten understanding that we/drivers could have work over 40 if schedule is full. That was over 1.5 yrs ago. We never know our shift till the night before and could be scheduled to work any time in a 10-12 hour day. ... If we don't drive, we don't get paid.
Which means I could have a 30 hr. paid work week in a 60 hr week ( the other 20 - 30 hrs. are 'breaks' / unpaid ) All was good since we were working close to 40.
In Oct. 2009 we were told we are going to work what we were hired to work which was a 30 hrs week/6 hrs shifts a day with no unpaid breaks. We were told that would let us get another PT job if we wanted.
After running out and getting a PT job which needed me off at 3 PM, I was told I have the 12-6 pm shift. My supervisor would not budge for me. She already gave the morning shift to the men (they have been there the longest). She could have worked something out for me but didn't.

They have now JUST started the 6 hr. shifts ( April, 2010 ) and I sometime have 3-4 hour long 'breaks' with no pay.
IS this legal?

I again found another job and need to be off around 4 pm. My super. again would not budge with my 'schedule' but told me I could take the time off if I wanted but not get my 30 hrs. / week which is NOT The point of my working another job with this one.

Is this Legal?

She not changing the schedule saying she needs me to work till 6 PM yet I can take it 'off' / and not get paid my 30 hrs a week..... which makes no sense to me.

I have exhausted my savings since last Oct waiting for them going to the 6 hour work day. I told my super that I do not want to go into home foreclosure due to not finding decent PT supplemental work with this impossible schedule. She does not care. She also handed me a posted job position that was available in another dept. I took that to be harassment.
Please is there anything I could do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back