2nd degree burns from babysitters' negligence

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazzmom25

I have a 22 mth old daughter. She stays with her father while Im working, first shift. Her dad left her in the care of his girlfriend for a short period of time. My daughter got 2nd degree burns on her legs and feet walking barefoot outside on her concrete/porceluin steps. She has had to stay in the hospital as well as medical care continuing at home. I am wondering if the property's owner has home ownership insurance, would they pay for her medical care, as well as the days I have had to take off from work. If they don't have the insurance, should I consult a lawyer or would it be a waste of time?

What state are you posting from? Does your regular medical insurance cover any of the cost associated with her injuries? Was there any type of report filed with hospital, police, etc...documenting how your daughter got the burns? If it were me, I would consult a lawyer because what happened was pretty serious according to your post, and they could tell you one way or another if you had a case and what that case would be.

Were social services ever called? Girlfriend was a little negligent and this should have been investigated more.

If its a rental then the owner should have a homeowners policy that should cover damages. You should start by seeing an attorney.

Also I would address this issue in family court. The dad should be banned from leaving the child alone with the girlfriend. You might have a case to push for supervised visits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back