2k purchase on a credit card for an ex-girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

caase

Situation, I was in a relationship where we had mutual financial responsibilities, first being a cell phone bill (paid by me for 2 lines), second being credit card debit. I purchased a TV on my credit card and gave it to her because she convinced me that once I open up a dept store credit card and buy the TV she would pay for it (monthly payments until paid off). I did not make her sign a contract or anything of that matter.

Fast forward while enjoying the TV! We broke up and she left with the tv saying she would continue payments. Push comes to shove she wasn't financially ready to move out on her own, and realizes she cannot afford all the bills she incurred. I further asked her and she explained to me that she had no money and that she gets her year end bonus in February and she would pay me then. So she misses 2 payments of the credit card there after the conversation this was expected but it still hit me hard financially. I like to keep my credit good so I pay the bill, I get impatient so send her two notices of "pay me or take you to small claims final notices" she neglected both. Then I send an email:
Me: "We had an agreement!"
Ex-girlfriend: "Yea wat was it again really my mind is in work mode right now I pay phone bill right?"
Me: "Did you write it down?"
Ex-Girlfriend: "490 every 15"
Me: "well you can give me 490 every 15th if you want. But you still owe 490 and you pay me at least 100 for the next four months on the 15th. And on the 5th month you pay me 90. Or if you wanna pay me for only four months you would owe me 122.50? Get it?
Ex-girlfriend: "Yea got it"

Another part of the deal was that she would pay our family share plan cell phone contract. She would pay it cutting her credit card payment in half. I want nothing to do with her so I took myself off the bill placing the line in my name. She might think of this as a breach of an agreement, so that is why she might not venture into paying me. She told me that since I have nothing on her but the bill of a TV that is in her possession with no real proof its mine serial number wise that I wouldn't have a case. I am in disagreement and she is the type of personality that will take it to court and try to win. Are small claims something I hire a lawyer for? Do I have a case here how does small claims work? In the matter of me having nothing but an email log and a credit card bill? What are the chances of her winning, and if she wins do I pay for her attorney and come out with 2-3x the bill plus the credit card bill still?

I am inquiring what my options are, there are some more details that I can fill in but I am also inquiring about this different perspectives and points of views in this situation, thanks in advance for any help coming my way.

Here's what you can do: Look under your states code/laws. Look under CONTRACTS, look threw the different types, you would be looking for verbal agreement, and what constitutes a written agreement.

If you feel you have a stong enough argument for a contract, (and you could keep emailing to get more in writting) you could in court.

I think it is over the amount you can file for in small claims court, but look into it. Even if you can't get into SCC, you can easily file a compliant in the correct court. If you can prove she owes you the money, you can get a judgement.

IF you get a judgement, go to the Clerk and Recorders Office, and have them record the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back