Burglary, Arson, Home Invasion 2010 FL Larceny Charge

helpthx29

Jurisdiction
Florida
I have an outstanding charge/warrant from FL dating back to 2010. The charge is for Larceny. I now live in another state, have a great job and family, pay taxes and stay away from crime completely. The charge hasn't affected me much in the past 10 years but it is worrisome to think that it could someday. I honestly don't know if I was ever even guilty of the crime itself. I was young and reckless then so it is possible; However, I don't want to incriminate myself unnecessarily. I don't have much time or money to afford an attorney as I have two kids and a newborn. I just don't know the right steps to take or what I should do.
Thank you in advance for any help or consideration.

I have an outstanding charge/warrant from FL dating back to 2010. The charge is for Larceny. I now live in another state, have a great job and family, pay taxes and stay away from crime completely. The charge hasn't affected me much in the past 10 years but it is worrisome to think that it could someday. I honestly don't know if I was ever even guilty of the crime itself. I was young and reckless then so it is possible; However, I don't want to incriminate myself unnecessarily. I don't have much time or money to afford an attorney as I have two kids and a newborn. I just don't know the right steps to take or what I should do.
Thank you in advance for any help or consideration.

I'll post the bad news first.

A warrant rarely goes away, unless the subject of the warrant dies, or addresses the warrant.

The good news is that if you're living at least two states, or more than 600 miles away (sometimes a 1,000 miles away); little will come of the warrant.

Let's say you're living in Conway, Arkansas.
You get stopped for speeding.
The police always run your details through NCIC to see if you have warrants.
It's discovered you have a felony warrant for theft in Miami.
Usually you're arrested, taken to jail, Miami PD is contacted, they respond a week layer saying let him go, we're not coming to Conway, Arkansas to extradite him.

Extradition is a lengthy and expensive process requiring FL to work through the Little Rock court system to petition the governor of Arkansas to allow you to be returned to Florida.

Usually after arrest you'll stew in a county jail in the state you were arrested for a week to a month while the state holding the arrest warrant decides if its worth it to pay to come and get you, pay a couple cops (or private agents) to fly to you, food, meals, and flights for all of you back to FL.

If its close enough to drive, say Houston, TX to Lake Charles, LA, a cop will just pop over and take you back, AFTER a hearing has been held. Again, you're in a jail for a week or a month while this occurs.

In rare cases, you MIGHT be allowed to post bail while the back and forth occurs.

If you're released after two weeks, but you are a witness to a crime a month later in St. Louis, MO. Again your name is run, bingo the warrant appears, you're arrested, held, and eventually released IF Miami won't come get you.

This happens over and over unlimited times until you address the warrant.

You've been lucky that in a decade it ain't appended to you.

Heck, you could go 50 years, no problems, or 5 days, big problems.

You'll always be at risk as long as the warrant is active.

Occasionally warrants get recalled by amnesty programs.
Your may have been recalled, check to see if it has.
Florida has sunshine laws, and its easy to find the county court or county sheriff website and check to see if the warrant s active.

Once you know, act accordingly using your wisdom.

Back