20 yr old wanting custody of my 6yr old half sister

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdavalos

I have 4 brothers and sisters ranging in age from 6yrs to 16 yrs. We all share the same mother, but none of us have the same father. My aunt (fathers sister) gained custody of me after my fathers death when i was 8 yrs old. since I was taken from my mother she has been in and out of prison 3xs. After 10 yrs of no conatct witrh my Mother and siblings i have reunited with them two yrs ago. My 13 yr old brother and 9 year old brother have both chosen to move in with my mothers ex boyfriend, because they cannot live with her because of the conditions. my 16 yr old sister has a 5th grade education and was being given Crystal Meth by my mother. My 6 yr old sister should be in the first grade, but never attends school. I am wondering how difficult it would be for me to gain custody of her. She is majority American Indian, so i know that she is protected by the reservation. I would like to put find out if there is a program that i could put my 16 yr old sister in. Since i know that i could not handle her, and she will only go down hill living with my mother. Please advise me on what to do. I want to help my family but i dont know how! :confused:

First of all, you should call CPS on your mother. she should not have custody of any of the kids if they are being abused or neglected. also CPS can help with placement of the other kids.

I am not sure if you have any shot at custody. Are you native american as well? Does the reservation offer any sort of family social services that might be able to help you? There are specific adoption policies when it comes to native american children. i honestly have no idea who you would contact but CPS is a start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back