Alcohol & Drugs: DUI, DWI 20 year old warrants

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigman3104

I am disabled and on social security disability and it dont pay much. I just learned that social security disability is going to stop paying me because of 2 warrants that are 20 years old from 1989 and in order for me to keep getting my payments from social security disability they want me to clear up the warrants. Florida wants me to go all the way to the state of Florida from my home state of Mississippi to turn my self in and go to jail untill they figure out what to do with me!!! My qusetions is not only I cant afford the trip to FL and with my medical condition and medications and Cpap (Sleep Apnea)machine i have to sleep on every night how will they be able to meet my needs in Jail!! Not only was it a crime I did 20 years ago it was posession of marajana and DUI i went to court on those charges long ago in 1989 and already served 30 days in jail and was put on probation but I never finnished probation and that is what the warrants are for!! It is now 20 years later and I never knew I had warrants and now I have to try to deal with this matter in a financial hardship what am I to do??

Call the Probation office in the area where you were on probation. Tell them about the warrants, your health condition, and such. See if they will work with you.

I did call the probation office and told them about my heath condition and they said that they had over 200 csaes like mine that they just been bombarded with from social security disability just in the past week. They also said the only thing they could do is that I have to go to Florida and turn myself in and go into custody und sit in jail untill the judge decides what to do with me!!

Great. You aren't going to like hearing this but you are going to have to hire an attorney. It shouldn't cost that much though it isn't going to be easy to afford on your income. Its that or sitting in jail. They will accommodate your health problems and you are likely to get off. There are no easy answers to this.

if I hired an attorney would I have do spend any time in Jail?
I think my original probation back in 1989 was 55 hours of community service and a $468.25 fine or payment. I paid some of that and it left me a balance of$280.00 but that was back then.
I am more worried about being away from wife and kids!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back