Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 1st time offense larceny 6th degree

K

KParadee

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
Today I was given a summon to appear in court for a 6th degree larceny charge. This is over $20 in merchandise from a Walmart. I have never been in any type of trouble, not even so much as a no seat belt ticket. I have no idea what to expect in court in a couple of weeks, so am looking for any suggestions or help. I am not sure if I should be trying to find an attorney or not. Pretty much, I do not want to go into this blind. This was a first and definitely last thing for me. I am a full time college student earning around $700 a month at most, and was just desperate. In the moment of being desperate, I made an awful decision that I do not want following me for the rest of my life. I can not begin to go into how embarrassed I am. I am working towards earning my degree in psychology, and I am so afraid of this affecting me being able to get a job in this profession once I complete school. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

When you go to court, dress neatly & be polite.

You need to discuss with a lawyer. If you cannot afford one, when you go to court plead not guilty & ask for a public defender. (A PD is a lawyer) You can then discuss with him/her. In Ct. you can sometimes get the charges dropped & your record protected for restitution & community service.

Today I was given a summon to appear in court for a 6th degree larceny charge. This is over $20 in merchandise from a Walmart. I have never been in any type of trouble, not even so much as a no seat belt ticket. I have no idea what to expect in court in a couple of weeks, so am looking for any suggestions or help. I am not sure if I should be trying to find an attorney or not. Pretty much, I do not want to go into this blind. This was a first and definitely last thing for me. I am a full time college student earning around $700 a month at most, and was just desperate. In the moment of being desperate, I made an awful decision that I do not want following me for the rest of my life. I can not begin to go into how embarrassed I am. I am working towards earning my degree in psychology, and I am so afraid of this affecting me being able to get a job in this profession once I complete school. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Never, ever talk to the police or the prosecutor unless your attorney is there to protect you.

By the way, criminal defense attorneys RARELY advise a criminal defendant to meet with the police or the prosecutor.

No good can ever come of any such meeting for the criminal defendant.

Why?

Let this experienced, licensed defense attorney (who happens to be a friend of mine) explain it for you:

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. Many Lawyers offer free consultations I suggest you get as many as possible before court. Arm yourself with knowledge. Ask about defense options and plea deals. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion to protect your record. I would also suggest you remove the name of the store from this public post.

Back