Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 18 yr old. had a juvenile record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badjudgement

I had a juvenile record for retail theft (petty misdemeanor) and attempted retail theft (complicity) (as a misdemeanor). I went took classes, did community service, had prohbation, and paid fines. I believe it was expunged. I am eighteen now. I recenlty shoplifted ($7.99 item) from a military base on Guam. The security forces told me that I would only have to appear in court to see how much much the judge would fine me. Since I stole from a military base,I will pay a $200 fine for a civil recovery. I am unsure if I have to pay them more. I have been looking online and I have seen replies similiar to my case and there have been replies about going to jail and paying a $1,000 fine. Is that true? I was hoping that I would just go to court, ask to do a pre-trial diversion program and get my case dismissed. Is this possible? I did not request for a lawyer since I was told that I would only pay fines. do I need a lawyer? If I do get charged with the fines, will I be able to expunge my case? I do not want to go to jail. I do not want this to go on my record and I definitely do not want to go to jail. Please help me. Also, since my dad is my sponser, will he loose his job for something I did? Will they hinder him from being promoted?

I'm sorry this is a late reply. Your case is very unusual. I highly advise you to take up any offer of having a lawyer. I would not take anyone's word that you will just get a fine unless the ink is dry on paper and signed. In addition, a lawyer can help you negotiate a better deal or even get the charges dismissed, especially if not warranted. Moreso, a lawyer might be able get you probation where completion of probation will get the case dismissed and no expungement necessary (for the conviction because there is none - you may want one for the arrest.)

Regarding what will happen - nobody knows. Nobody can predict what the repercussions will be regarding your father. You can only prepare yourself adequately by having a lawyer present to protect your best interests and negotiate the best deal you can (or get the charges dismissed.) Best of luck and hope everything works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back