Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 18 y/o first time shoplifting caught - what happens next?

g7393415

I got caught shoplifting today and it is my first offense. I was caught lifting $241 and the police handcuffed/fingerprinted/took a picture of me at the station.
My court date to plead guilty/not is in 2 weeks. What happens next?

My family cannot afford an attorney/lawyer. When is the appropriate time to ask for a court appointed one? - when I give my plea? Or before?
Also will an appointed attorney/lawyer (to be honest, I don't know anything about the law. I don't know what the difference is between the two people) help me? Or sway my decisions to how the state/court would want it to be? Are court-appointed ones free? Or just cheaper?

How should I plea? Again, this is my first time getting caught shoplifting, but in my bag they (the store who caught me, not the police) found clothes I had lifted from a previous store. The store that caught me only said that they would be returning those clothes. But would I get a greater charge? The police don't seem to know about the clothes, however.

How many years do I wait until I can expunge my record? Will I definitely get something on my record? What is the usual charge for something like this?

Sorry for the questions but I am extremely nervous.

Lastly, how should I dress for court? I am a female.

Sorry - also will it affect that I admitted to stealing at the store? They asked me yes/no questions and I answered them honestly, and they have video footage. Also when the police came, he asked in a friendly tone if it was for personal use or to sell, and i told him that it was for personal use. I don't know much about the law so I just tried to be honest but answered in short sentences. Will this come back against me?

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily.
.Dress professional
.Plead not guilty and request public defender
.When you meet this Lawyer discuss your defense and plea options. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion (expungement wont be needed if you get this most likely)
. Multiple thefts (more than one store) could qualify you for felony charge so talk to your lawyer

What if the police don't know about the thefts from other stores? My court order only named the store I was caught from. Should I still tell my lawyer then?

Back