17 year olds parents placing protection order on 18 year old boyfriend

Zonearux

Jurisdiction
Missouri
For over a year and a half me and my girlfriend have been together WITH permission from her parents. However, after a short break up her parents have completely changed their opinions on me. Recently she has been planning on leaving her parents without their permission to live with me, but earlier today her parents said they are going to put a restraining order on me for her. My girlfriend obviously does not want them to do that at all. My questions are: "Can they make her get a restraining order when she's 17 years old?" and "If not, can she legally move in with me without their permission?"

1,) Maybe, maybe not. Are you willing to risk it?

2.) In your dreams, pal. In your dreams. She is a minor - she lives where her parents say she lives until she turns 18 and not one minute earlier.

I just saw that you're in Missouri, so that's where you're getting your very mistaken ideas that at 17 she is permitted to disobey her parents. In Missouri, a poorly written law means that in the event that a 17 minor child year old runs away from home (and make no mistake about it -that's exactly what it would be) law enforcement is sometimes, not always but sometimes, reluctant to force that 17 year old minor child home. However, that same law means that if her parents come to your house, pick your 17 year old minor girlfriend up, sling her over their collective shoulder and take her disobedient little ass right back where it belongs, law enforcement will look the other way.

At 17, she has the rights her parents choose to give her. Period.

Yes, parents may obtain a restraining order against you on behalf of a minor.
No, she can not do much of anything without their permission.

You are best off to respect their wishes and avoid contact with her until she is 18. If you willingly encourage her to disobey her parents you could potentially be charged with misdemeanor offenses such as contributing to the delinquency of a minor or child concealment. If you are served a restraining order and violate it, which includes her sneaking away to see you without permission, you could find yourself in jail.
If she moves out and is reported as a runaway and is ultimately located with you, and especially if a restraining order is in place, you will have a mess on your hands.
Her parents get to make the decisions. Don't interfere. Be patient until she is 18 then she can do what she wants.

For over a year and a half me and my girlfriend have been together WITH permission from her parents. However, after a short break up her parents have completely changed their opinions on me. Recently she has been planning on leaving her parents without their permission to live with me, but earlier today her parents said they are going to put a restraining order on me for her. My girlfriend obviously does not want them to do that at all. My questions are: "Can they make her get a restraining order when she's 17 years old?" and "If not, can she legally move in with me without their permission?"

They can put on a protection order against you to protect her until she's an adult. No she legally can't move in without their permission. How long until she's 18?

Back