Sex Crimes, Sex Offenders 16 yr old girlfriend pregnant

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetongue04

I am 19 years old with a 16 year old pregnant girlfriend. I know that I am in hot water right now,but how hot is it? We truly care about eachother (sex was consentual) and decided to keep the child. I am working full time and have every intention of taking responsibility in raising this child. We havent told her parents yet, and that is why I am writing. If her parents were to call the police but decide not to press charges, I understand that the state can still charge me. What kind of sentence would that entail as opposed to if they did press charges. Would there be any leniency given that I want to be present for the birth, and want to be there to take care of my child? Also a friend of mine went to prison for the same thing because someone other than her parents called the police on him. Can any random person with a grudge have me thrown in prison. I am looking forward to being a father (even though it was an accident) and this is the only thing that is causing me great concern. A detailed response would be greatly appreciated.

What state are you in?

The age of consent (the age when a someone can legally say yes) and the definition of statutory rape (when a person has sex with someone under the age of consent) varies by state. You need to find out what those exact laws are in your state. Keep in mind if you were having a relationship with her when she was underage ,say you started having sex when she was 15 and you were 18, you may still be in violation of the law.

Now, in most states the victim, the parents of the victim or the state can bring charges of statutory rape. From what you've said your GF isn't interested in charging you. Whether other people do charge you depends on how you handle it. Your baby is involved. This baby will be the major part of your life until you are about 40 years old. If you understand and accept that responsibility people are likely to be more understanding.

You will put yourself in the best position if you and your girlfriend come up with a plan and talk to her parents (and your parents) about it. Don't let this list overwwhelm you. Work on one question at a time, over a few days you should have some kind of plan to talk to her parents about. Don't be surprised if they yell. Parents do that when their baby is going to have a baby. Keep your temper and wait them out.

Things you should have answers for include:

Do you both want to keep the baby?
How will you support it?
Will both of you have to work?
Will your GF finish highschool?
Who's paying for health insurance and pre-natal care?
Who's paying for daycare?
Do you plan on getting married?

As a young father you have some special problems of your own. Being a teenage dad is tough and sometimes lonely. Are there any community groups where you live where you can get support and advice? Do you and your gf know how to be parents? It is not something any of us are born knowing. Taking some parenting classes would be good for both of you and your baby.

Here's a list of the ages of consent:
http://www.sexlaws.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Topics&file=index

Also,
To prevent the state from pressing charges you do have the option of not putting your name on the birth certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back