16 year old Son In Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Educatedlady

My 16 year old was on house arrest for stealing an electronic device from someone at school. As punishment, he has to finish the remainder of his high school career at an alternative school, stay on probation, offer restitution, and complete community service. A few days after this was ordered, he stole my car without my knowledge after 11 pm when I was sleeping, and received 5 traffic violations including a curfew ticket after being put on house arrest. Does he immediately go to the Atlanta Metro Youth Detention....? I feel that he needs a punishment but this facility is rumored to be worst than going to an adult jail. My fear is that he will grow even more corrupt being in a facility such as this.

Worried and upset mother

He got FIVE tickets in the same night?!

The court is going to have a field day with him. You need to make sure he has the absolute best attorney you can afford.

My 16 year old was on house arrest for stealing an electronic device from someone at school. As punishment, he has to finish the remainder of his high school career at an alternative school, stay on probation, offer restitution, and complete community service. A few days after this was ordered, he stole my car without my knowledge after 11 pm when I was sleeping, and received 5 traffic violations including a curfew ticket after being put on house arrest. Does he immediately go to the Atlanta Metro Youth Detention....? I feel that he needs a punishment but this facility is rumored to be worst than going to an adult jail. My fear is that he will grow even more corrupt being in a facility such as this.

Worried and upset mother

He has (or soon will have) two problems.

His current issue is about the traffic citations.

His pending (or looming) BIGGER issue is the potential revocation of his current probation, aka, HOUSE ARREST RESTRICTION.

You are his voice, mom.

So, you should hire an attorney, or request the judge to appoint one to represent him and you, if your financial situation qualifies you for court appointed counsel.

You need not clarify to us, these are your options.

With, or without counsel present at his next hearing, you simply ask for a continuance to hire counsel (or for appointed counsel), indicate he desires a hearing on all matters, request that he be allowed to continue staying at your home (if that is what you wish); or that he be locked away in the juvenile facility until the next hearing.

If he is allowed to stay with you (and you desire that outcome), ask the court how you could better ensure he remains on the premises, safe and secure.

So, those are yoru choices, the hearing will come in due course.

In the gmeantime, you have breathing room to plot your next steps. So, put your thinking cap on, mom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back