15 Yr Old Traffic Ticket / State Tax Return

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkelly0123

**Update** I went ahead and requested a hearing. It's now set for traffic court on 3/30/06. Shouldn't there have been a hearing 15 years ago? Can you have a second hearing? Also, isn't there a certain amount of time that they can have hearings or does the right to a speedy trial not apply for traffic tickets. The ticket is for 70 in a 65 in Wagoner County, Oklahoma.

Any help is appreciated.

I got a letter in the mail stating that Wagoner County Oklahoma had requested a tax intercept of $94 ($74 - ticket and $20 in tax intercept notice fees) from my state return for a ticket from 2/1991 (70 in a 65). I could sign the form they sent and the money would be taken out or I could request a hearing (the request for a hearing must be received within 60 days).

Because some (possibly all) banks aren't required to keep documents for 15 years and generally the recommended time to keep personal documents is 7 years I don't have any cancelled checks from 15 years ago.

If I didn't pay wouldn't my license have been suspended and a warrant issued? I've gotten a few speeding tickets in the last 15 years (one from the state highway patrol) and there has never been any mention of a warrant. I'm not sure if this is checked for every time though and I don't think that any other tickets were in Wagoner County.

I've also gotten my license renewed a couple of times in the last 15 years and there hasn't been any mention of my license suspended. I guess if it was only suspended for a year I might not have known about it...

My questions are:
If I didn't pay wouldn't my license have been suspended and a warrant issued?
Could all of this have happened without my knowledge?
Do I have any recourse considering it's rare to keep documents for 15 years?
How long are court records kept and how long is ticket information kept?
Can I go to the state and request all of this information?

I know it's a small amount but it's very possible that the error is on their side. It's also scary to think that they can send letters out for tickets that are this old and probably get money from people because they can't prove that they've paid the fine.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you didn't pay the ticket or show for court, they found you guilty. You have to request a trial, either by mail or at your court appearance. I doubt the officer remembers any more than you do if he is even still around. Sounds like your only defense is that you paid the ticket and they messed up the records, if that is what happened.

Thanks for the reply. The letter I originally got from Wagoner County stating they were holding my tax return did say that I have 60 days from receipt of the notice to request a hearing. I sent in my request and they scheduled a hearing on Traffic Non-Jury Trial Docket. I called the court clerk to verify that it was an actual hearing for the original ticket. She said that it was. If I was found guilty 15 years ago can I have a second hearing? Does the right to a speedy trial apply? If I didn't pay the ticket and was found guilty the first time wouldn't there have been a warrant issued. I did get another ticket from the highway patrol and there was no mention of a warrant for me. When I show up for the hearing should I request that it be dismissed?

I don't have anything that I can add. You will just have to see what happens and please post back. The procedure is too unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back