Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 15 years old, caught shoplifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvetteispeace

It was literally the stupidest decision I've ever made in my life. I had absolutely NO reason to do it and I never will do anything remotely close to it again so please do not lecture me. I'm ashamed of myself for hurting my parents and my brother with my idiotic decision, and losing the little trust I had from my parents.

I was caught shoplifting at Store Name in New York City, two days ago. I live in New Jersey. I had $144 worth of stuff (I know...4 items) and at first they took me downstairs into this room with a "Wall of Shame" and I tried to cooperate and gave them all my stuff, along with an ID. They took a picture of me and told me to wait. This really nice girl stayed in the room with me and told me not to worry too much and that I would be out soon, just that I could never come back to Store Name (for 7 years). I was waiting and waiting for like half an hour and when I turned around, there were police with handcuffs. I was handcuffed and sent to the police station...they asked me my name, address, and date of birth. Then they called my parents and told them that I had to be picked up. Unfortunately, I'm from New Jersey, so I waited for two hours handcuffed to a bench. When my Dad came, they asked him for his ID along with other information, and supposedly my social security number (I'm not sure, that's what my Mom said but she also thought I was fingerprinted? Which I never told her...)? After that, I was free to go.

I'm just wondering if this will be on a permanent record? I talked to a police officer and he was very kind and told me not to worry about it, it's just one of those stupid things you do as a teenager. I don't have to go to court or pay money or take classes. It was my first time ever being caught or having trouble with the law. My Mom is convinced that everytime I try to apply for a job they'll be able to see it, and so will colleges. Is this true? What is going to happen to me?

Here at RTA we discourage posting the name of the store. That is for "your" protection. "Anyone can read these posts and it sunwise topost info that can ID you.

Admin said:
Here at RTA we discourage posting the name of the store. That is for "your" protection. "Anyone can read these posts and it sunwise topost info that can ID you.

Oh, sorry about that...I'm new here. Thanks!

Anything you post "could" show up in court or be used as tool to file charges. I. want you to get your answers but stay safe at same time. In regards to your issue I find it very odd that you were told "nothing" would happen! If thats case why take you to Police station? I think you need to check all your paperwork and contact Police to see if charges were filed. You can also expect a letter of Civil Demand in mail in upcomng days. This is a "Civil" not criminal fine. Pay it right away. Not paying good provoke unpleasant actions

Admin said:
Anything you post "could" show up in court or be used as tool to file charges. I. want you to get your answers but stay safe at same time. In regards to your issue I find it very odd that you were told "nothing" would happen! If thats case why take you to Police station? I think you need to check all your paperwork and contact Police to see if charges were filed. You can also expect a letter of Civil Demand in mail in upcomng days. This is a "Civil" not criminal fine. Pay it right away. Not paying good provoke unpleasant actions

Yes, I think they lied to me at the store...and when I got to the police station somebody there was like "Hm, usually ____ doesn't call." when he found out what store I stole from. I asked the police officer what would happen and he said a report is filed, and that the report just goes to the Juvenile...something. And I asked if I had to pay any money and he said no. I'm so confused.

You are likely going to juvenile court. Your fines, probation etc will decided then and there. You need to check on this and consult an Attorney. Ask this Attorney (if charged) if Diversion is an available option for you.

Admin said:
You are likely going to juvenile court. Your fines, probation etc will decided then and there. You need to check on this and consult an Attorney. Ask this Attorney (if charged) if Diversion is an available option for you.

Oh my god, are you serious? I'm so scared. I thought that would just be the end of it.

I'm reading wikipedia and it says

In all but three states, anyone charged with committing a criminal act before his or her eighteenth birthday is initially processed as a juvenile defendant. In New York, Connecticut and North Carolina, however, the minimum age at which all accused persons are charged as adults is 16, in other states such as Washington the minimum age depends on the seriousness of the crime.

But I'm 15. So can I not be charged? Oh my god...

My father did not receive any paperwork when he picked me up. He simply gave them his drivers license and they did a background check I think to make sure there was nothing suspicious. I understand about wikipedia, I don't really know why I posted about it. I just remember the police telling me "You're really lucky you aren't 16." and stuff like that.

If the documents your father received did not contain court information, then chances are you will be notified by the court IF they will be bringing any charges.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back