14 year old daughter gets appearance ticket for family court. What will happen to her

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolinat2

My daughter is 14. At school someone handed her a vicodin and an adderal (sp) she put them in a box that she keeps her advil in. A friend asked for an Advil. A teacher saw my daughter give the advil to her friend and sent her to the office where it was discovered she had the other 2 pills. My daughter was suspended. She has now received a notice to appear to Family Court as well as myself. The crime is "Criminal Posession of a Controlled Substance 7th Degree". She has never gotten in trouble. The police had her make a statement and she did stating what happened. I am hoping that wasn't a mistake but there wasn't anything to hide and we are unfamiliar with legal stuff. What will probably happen to her? Add to this I have accepted a teaching position in New Zealand and we were just leaving for this country when this notice came in the mail last night. What will happen if we don't make it to the hearing? I will lose my job by not getting to New Zealand.

The matter would likely be routed through the probation department without criminal charges being filed. Contact the Family Court or District Attorney's office to advise them that you are leaving the country and that your daughter is going with you. You don't have to stick around because of this.

If you're off to Kiwi Land, just go.
Your child won't be prosecuted because you failed to have her appear.

However, you might wish to have a long heart to heart with Little Darla.

Her story is a lie.

You need to help her, or this will become a bigger problem.

Drug abuse is taken very seriously in most other civilized nations.

You're headed to one of them!

Little Darla is involved with the wrong crowd!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back