Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft 14$ merchandise= 900$ charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

babysnakes

My jurisdiction is: Wisconsin

How much are these civil recovery firms allowed to charge? my charge was 14$ theft from a Wisconsin Hobby Lobby, i paid the 3oo$ ticket, went to court and got the charge changed to disorderly conduct. A month later I get an order to pay 650$ to Palmer, Reifler & Associates and the longer i ignore it the more the price rises. do i have ANY rights in this? i did not know the charge could be more than 10-15 times the price of the merchandise. this feels unfair, i don't just want roll over and take this but what can i do? is it safe to ignore these threatening letters? i read they send out millions of these civil recovery letters out but only around 10 cases go to court. I don't know if that's because they don't follow through or millions of people are afraid of this firm and pay the money. any feedback would be appreciated, it's not easy to find information on this topic

It was your failure to pay on time that caused the rise in fine. Its much like not paying your taxes the fees go up and up. Unfair was stealing not whats happenning to you. Whats happenning is state law its called Civil Demand. I would urge you to pay or make payment arrangements quickly this will not go away and the Law firm can sue you and win! Then your looking at higher fees, legal fees and court cost and likely thousands!

A month later I get an order to pay 650$ to Palmer, Reifler & Associates and the longer i ignore it the more the price rises. do i have ANY rights in this? i did not know the charge could be more than 10-15 times the price of the merchandise. this feels unfair, i don't just want roll over and take this but what can i do? is it safe to ignore these threatening letters?
Unfair . . . yes

Illegal . . . no

Ignoring the Civil Demand could lead to a Civil lawsuit
that could cost you thousands

The cost of the item is irrevalent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back