13 year old speeding ticket..

Status
Not open for further replies.

chump101

I live in the state of Connecticut and recently went to get a driver's license. I moved here quite some time ago and never bothered to get a new one (I currently have a valid Massachusettes license). After waiting in the DMV for an inordinate amount of time I was informed they would not be able to give me my license because I had an unpaid ticket in the state of New York.

The ticket was from 1993. I called the courthouse of the town involved and was told I would have to submit a non-guilty or guilty plea, etc like it had just happened...I decided to just not get a new license and keep my Mass one.

Now that was two years ago and I am looking to buy a new car now. It seems that state law requires you to have a license from that state to register a car there now. It seems I am going to have to deal with this situation.

Is there anything I can do after 13 years? Can the ticket possibly just go away? Is there any statute of limitations on speeding tickets or anything?

Any help would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that since you are a resident of CT they are going to require you to obtain a DL in that state. Eventually you will get stopped and cited for being a resident with an out of state license. So, you cannot just let this linger on and hope it goes away.

NY may have a hold on your license status because of this. You will need to resolve the matter there in some manner. My guess is that there is no way they will prosecute a 13 year old citation, so you might as well try to handle the matter if you can - maybe even pay the fine. But, there might also be a warrant for your arrest for failing to appear in court or take care of the matter ... so you might want to check that out as well.

See if you can hire an Albany area attorney that handles traffic matters to resolve this for you.

- Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back